Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question about t-shirt quilts >
  • question about t-shirt quilts

• question about t-shirt quilts

Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 AM

Default question about t-shirt quilts

What do you use for interfacing? MSQC has a video and they suggest Pellon fusible featherweight, but LQS has something very different that is more like an actual fabric that is fusible. Big price difference. Any recommendations? Also, Joanns carries the same thing MSQC recommends but quite a bit cheaper. Do you think there would be a quality difference?

Last edited by SavedByGrace; 06-27-2014 at 04:22 AM.
    Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 AM

I used Pellon SF101 when I made mine. I bought a bolt of it in store at Joann's with a 50% off coupon because I use it in making bags and such. It is on sale online only right now. http://www.joann.com/pellon-sf101-sh...+sf101&start=4

I got a package of June Tailor T Shirt Quilt interfacing once in a grab bag. It looks identical to the Pellon SF101 and was only 3 yards and the price tag on it was $19.99!

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 06-27-2014 at 04:27 AM.
    Old 06-27-2014, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

I used Pellon Fusible Interfacing for sheer to lightweight fabrics 906F. Bought a bolt at JAF using a 50% coupon. You want light because the t-shirts are very heavy compared to cotton quilting fabric.
    Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 AM

I think featherweight is to heavy use a sheer to lightweight
    Old 06-27-2014, 05:43 AM

My very quilty friend that makes a lot of t-shirt quilts uses French fuse. In fact, I'm about to embark on making one myself as a Christmas gift and she brought me the French fuse to use. Said it was far superior to anything else on the market and I trusted her since she's made so many. She has a great tutorial on her blog site which lays out exactly how to make a t-shirt quilt.
    http://b-quilts.com/blog/
    Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 AM

I use the Pellon Shir-Tailor 950F. It is a little heavier and feels stiff before you fuse it on, but becomes soft (at least that's the way it seems to me). Go to http://www.pellonprojects.com/ and look at all the different Pellon products available.
    Old 06-27-2014, 06:40 AM
    Power Poster

I prefer the Pellon product to the JoAnne's store brand but I have used the el-cheapo stuff from JoAnnes (the stuff that sells for .99 per yard) with no problems and bought a full bolt of it because it does what I need it to do for a fraction of the price. I have made a lot of T-shirt quilts. Just don't "man-handle" it and you will be fine. You just want enough stability to keep the T-shirt knit from stretching out of shape when you sew it. I have known people who don't mess with fusible at all, just starch the dickens out of them. I have not tried that but I am sure it would work.
    Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Two t-shirt quilt books carried in my local quilt shop recommend fusible tricot interfacing: So Sheer or Fusi-Knit, although, a woman in my neighborhood who has a business making t-shirt quilts told me she uses whatever interfacing/stabilizer is available at Jo-Anne's that's cheap and abundant. Go figure....

It's frustrating when you want to try something new and there are so many different recommendations about how to get the job done. This is one of the snags that's holding me back from starting a t-shirt quilt. If this was fabric, and I messed it up, I could go find more fabric. But with a t-shirt quilt, you only have one shot at getting it right--that is, if you ruin a t-shirt, you can't get it back. Sigh....
    Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by gigigray032447
    My very quilty friend that makes a lot of t-shirt quilts uses French fuse. In fact, I'm about to embark on making one myself as a Christmas gift and she brought me the French fuse to use. Said it was far superior to anything else on the market and I trusted her since she's made so many. She has a great tutorial on her blog site which lays out exactly how to make a t-shirt quilt.
    http://b-quilts.com/blog/
    This is what I use also and I love it. It does have a stretch to it so before you fuse it make sure the stretch is going the opposite way of your shirt. most shirts stretch across so I make sure the stretch on FF is going up and down.
    Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
    pw6

Joann's has it a 50% off now and you want the fratherweight.. that is what I use ..