Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question on EQ foundation friendly block >

question on EQ foundation friendly block

question on EQ foundation friendly block

Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM

I am going through the Companion book for EQ6 and it is great! Really helping me get more proficient. I do have a question though. It speaks of certain blocks in the 8 point star being "foundation friendly" I have drwn those blocks following the directions and tehy look to be spot on...but when I go to try to get the foundation pattern, that part will not highlight.
I am able to bring up foundation patterns for the blocks already in the program...but not for the ones I am drawing in Patch draw. How do I go about getting those?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Are you saving them in the sketchbook? If so, edit the block and then use the print function for blocks. I hope this helps. I love EQ!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 PM

i'll be watching for the answer
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Are you saving them in the sketchbook? If so, edit the block and then use the print function for blocks. I hope this helps. I love EQ!
The print function should give you the option to print for use as a foundation pattern. I always preview first.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 PM

Sorry, dbl post
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
MTS
Banned

If you draw the block yourself, as opposed to using one already in the library, sometimes EQ is clever enough to figure out the piecing order. And sometimes not.

When you select Foundation Pattern from the Print options, you'll notice 3 different tabs:
Numbering
Sections
Options

If you go to the Sections tab, you can Start Over and YOU decide how you want to group the pieces. You just click on separate units and then GROUP. If you click in the order you'll sew them, then the numbers will be assigned that way.

There are some wobbles in the process - you can't correct a mistake - you have to start over. And you have to finish the block before you click on one of the other tabs. If you do that and come back to the Sections tab, you can add to what you've done and have to start over again. Slightly annoying but you'll get the hang of it.

After you've made the groups you want, if you want to change the numbering sequence within a group, then click on the Numbers tab. Within a group, click the sequence you really wanted and the numbers will change accordingly.

The options tab is pretty self explanatory. And you'll have to play around a bit with those so you're comfortable with the options. What I might select might not be what you'd want.

You can always click Preview to see how it will print without wasting paper.

The foundation pattern printing is one of my most favorite features in EQ.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 AM

Thank you for the responses. I am saving the drawing in sketchbook, opening it by the edit choice, then click on File , then on print and then comes the problem I am having ... the foundation choice is faded where you cannot click on it. Any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by TymeToShine
Thank you for the responses. I am saving the drawing in sketchbook, opening it by the edit choice, then click on File , then on print and then comes the problem I am having ... the foundation choice is faded where you cannot click on it. Any suggestions?
Hmmm, the only way I can't get Foundation to print (just quickly playing around now) is if I create a block via PatchDraw as opposed to EasyDraw.

Otherwise, in EasyDraw, I've just created blocks that really aren't even foundation piece-able (weird shapes that don't connect), but it WILL allow the Foundation print option.

I rarely (never ;-) ) use Patch Draw so I can't say I'm really familiar with all its quirks.

Can you post a copy of your sketch here? Maybe a line is missing or not connecting.
(File, Export Image and follow the prompts).

Sorry I can't be of more help. Strange.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks MTS,
I am trying to post the drawing here. I tried opening it in Easy draw and it still would not allow me to open the foundation part. Do you see anything that is missing? I follwed the directions in the companion book (at least I think I did) and it says I should be able to get a foundation pattern for it.

OK - I have the drawing attached...it actually is much finer, smoother lines in EQ....not dotted and thick like it shows here.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248150.jpe  
Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by TymeToShine
OK - I have the drawing attached...it actually is much finer, smoother lines in EQ....not dotted and thick like it shows here.
Ok, totally bizarre.

I just took a LeMoyne Star from the block library and split the sections.
The first one isn't even PP-able as printed but it did allow me to choose Foundation pattern as a print option.
Same for the second one.

So, I'm stumped.
And weird that it drew the lines like that.
I don't know that I've noticed that before. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248170.jpe   attachment-248171.jpe