Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as Desired??? >

Quilt as Desired???

Quilt as Desired???

Old 01-09-2015, 04:22 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
katier825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 7,084
Default Quilt as Desired???

I hate that phrase...Quilt as Desired. I want inspiration for my FMQ! I want to see closeups of the quilting design, sketches of the design like they do in BH&G American Patchwork & Quilting magazine, resources for patterns. Many times I end up drawing up my own design based on finished quilts I see on Pinterest or Google.

These are sites I love to browse through.

http://www.quiltingcreations.com/

http://www.digitechpatterns.com/

http://stitchhappy.com/Stitch%20Happy%20Digital/

Please share the sites you go to for your inspiration! The method doesn't matter to me. Even though I'm quilting on a domestic machine (Juki TL2010q) in a table, I still love to browse thru the digital designs and pantographs for ideas too.
katier825 is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ontario,canada
Posts: 474
Default

I like to browse this site for inspiration http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/forum/46-pictures/ there are some very talented quilters on there. I also really like Leah day's site The Free Motion Quilting Project and have learned so much there.
I am learning to quilt on my sweet 16 sit down machine.
coffeecozy is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,018
Default

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I hate that phrase...Quilt as Desired. I want inspiration for my FMQ! I want to see closeups of the quilting design, sketches of the design like they do in BH&G American Patchwork & Quilting magazine, resources for patterns. Many times I end up drawing up my own design based on finished quilts I see on Pinterest or Google.

These are sites I love to browse through.

http://www.quiltingcreations.com/

http://www.digitechpatterns.com/

http://stitchhappy.com/Stitch%20Happy%20Digital/

Please share the sites you go to for your inspiration! The method doesn't matter to me. Even though I'm quilting on a domestic machine (Juki TL2010q) in a table, I still love to browse thru the digital designs and pantographs for ideas too.
I think what you have listed is a great arsenal of ideas....
Geri B is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
katier825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 7,084
Default

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
I like to browse this site for inspiration http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/forum/46-pictures/ there are some very talented quilters on there. I also really like Leah day's site The Free Motion Quilting Project and have learned so much there.
I am learning to quilt on my sweet 16 sit down machine.
Thanks for the link!
katier825 is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 07:12 AM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,131
Default

Usually, the quilt speaks to me on how it wants to be quilted. I don't have a LAQ so when I see an all over design, I start to think on how the hand quilters of the early 20th century would quilt the quilt. That is my inspiration beside photos of quilts on Google.
ManiacQuilter2 is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Morris Plains, NJ
Posts: 1,788
Default

I took a FMQ class with Cindy Needham and really enjoyed her style. Followed her website and blog and recently she came up with 2 stencils that are all you need to design your FMQ block. She has an excellent digital book(s) to go along with these. Check her out.
Maureen NJ is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
GrannieAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S. W. Indiana
Posts: 7,484
Default

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I hate that phrase...Quilt as Desired. I want inspiration for my FMQ! I want to see closeups of the quilting design, sketches of the design like they do in BH&G American Patchwork & Quilting magazine, resources for patterns. Many times I end up drawing up my own design based on finished quilts I see on Pinterest or Google.

These are sites I love to browse through.

http://www.quiltingcreations.com/

http://www.digitechpatterns.com/

http://stitchhappy.com/Stitch%20Happy%20Digital/

Please share the sites you go to for your inspiration! The method doesn't matter to me. Even though I'm quilting on a domestic machine (Juki TL2010q) in a table, I still love to browse thru the digital designs and pantographs for ideas too.


Surprised that "quilt as desired" is a problem for anyone. Isn't making a quilt your own a main goal of most quilters?
GrannieAnnie is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 10:33 AM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
katier825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 7,084
Default

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Surprised that "quilt as desired" is a problem for anyone. Isn't making a quilt your own a main goal of most quilters?
Sure I want to make it my own...but not everyone can mentally envision how the quilting will look. I think my problem is that I might have an idea of what I want, but not sure how to execute it. For instance, I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my current quilt. I think I want a flower in the 16-patch block, but not sure how to tie it in with the 4-square/star sashing blocks. Plus I sometimes get stumped on what path to get from one place to another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505372[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sydneys-quilt.jpg  
katier825 is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 589
Default

'\ wow have never heard of these! Great! will they work on a sit down?
yellowwroses is offline  
Old 01-09-2015, 11:03 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
IrishgalfromNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Florida
Posts: 2,156
Default

I found this post very informative. It explains how this member finds the pattern she is going to quilt in the quilt pattern. It's interesting. The link to the thread is here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...f-t243306.html
IrishgalfromNJ is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SoSewSue
Main
69
03-17-2012 02:35 AM
madamepurl
Main
8
08-11-2011 03:54 AM
pamela
Main
4
03-01-2010 06:12 AM
sondray
Links and Resources
0
11-07-2009 02:11 PM
katier825
Main
14
07-28-2009 06:06 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter