Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting pattern frustrations...long one >
  • Quilting pattern frustrations...long one

• Quilting pattern frustrations...long one

Old 06-26-2011, 04:48 AM

Commend you for sticking with it ... I would be highlighting the corrections and then e-mail a brief summary to the publisher. First ask for refund and then ask how much they will pay you to provide the corrections - let's face it, if you provide the corrections they are going to reprint and make $$$; you may as well get some compensation for your time / trouble!
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:03 AM

Reminds me of when I used to teach. A funny lesson for kids to encourage precise directions is to bring a jar of peanut butter, a jar of jelly and a loaf of bread. Then the teacher demonstrates how to make a pb sandwich as a student gives the directions... teacher usually ends up putting the peanut butter jar on top of the loaf of bread... lots of laughs and the point comes across. There is also a very funny series of books for children with a character named Amelia Bedila about following directions (too literally) but I digress... my point is that directions can be difficult to write...you may want to read them before attempting a pattern... good directions need a good writer with clear thinking skills.
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 AM

your perserverance is deserving of a medal--i would never have lasted through all that frustration. it's hard to find a pattern w/o mistakes...
    FYI--yardage is almost always over estimated
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 AM

Oooohhhh I am so there with you!! Making a Bargello for my sis that she picked out of a Margie Edie book, but pattern wasn't in the book. Saw what I thought was it online, but when I got it, it wasn't Edie's name on it- someone else's. A few minor changes in measurements but essentially same pattern. hmmm.... Started reading through instructions- good grief has this person ever made a Bargello? Such crazy instructions. Used Margie's approach--But made the mistake of using the pattern's measurements... Currently zigzagging an additional piece of batting and adding to the backing as it is a quilt as you go!!! Aaarrrggghhhh!!! Of course working under time constraints so can send it home on the plane with my mom who is with me for a month, but needs full-time care too. Sorry joint venting with you!! Good thing no time to do anything but forge ahead!!
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 AM

I'm in! Been there, done that. Totally understand your exasperation.
    We have a board member who has other members user test her patterns before she puts the pattern on the market. I so much admire her for doing that.
    Sorry you had to bleed to get the quilt made and happy for you the fabrics were ones that worked in spite of pattern flaws.
    Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 AM

You're stronger than I, that quilt would now be a UFO at my house. When I get frustrated like that I have to walk away from it and maybe never go back.
    Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

Do these people know what a pattern tester is???