Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting/sewing machine >
  • Quilting/sewing machine

• Quilting/sewing machine

Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 PM

Default Quilting/sewing machine

I have to buy a new sewing machine for quilting. I'm looking for any help as to what kind to look at when i go shopping
    Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM

To get the information you're looking for you need to repost this in the Main area of the forum. Also the budget you are working with, what you want to do on your machine ( quilting, garment sewing, home dec, appliqué, embroidery, free motion quilting etc) and any features you know already that you A) must have or B) that you desire but aren't deal breakers. Also are you hoping to buy loacally (reccomended for dealer support and maintenance) and if so what dealers are in your area and have you checked online for customer reviews? Quilting and fabric store owners can point you towards dealers with good reputations also. Happy hunting!!
    Old 04-18-2014, 03:50 AM

I hear a lot on this board about satisfied Janome owners. That's why I bought my Janome Horizon 8900 last year. It's a good quilting machine. It has a wide 11" harp space.
    Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

It depends on how much you can afford. I love my Bernina 440 but it was about $3000.
    Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer
    I hear a lot on this board about satisfied Janome owners. That's why I bought my Janome Horizon 8900 last year. It's a good quilting machine. It has a wide 11" harp space.
    i also love my Janome 8900
    Old 04-18-2014, 05:13 AM

*raises hand* Another happy Janome owner here! I have a 6600 as my main quilting machine (love that accufeed) and I just recently bought a 3160QDC as my "travel" machine and so I could have a free-arm for basic clothing repairs/hemming - that thing sews so nice and smooth! Both are excellent machines, I'm really happy with both of them.

I'd say visit dealers in your area and test-drive machines of all different brands. If you're going to spend a lot of money on a machine it pays to check out the dealers themselves too - some (I'll even say "most") are marvelous but like anything else in life there are some that are like sleazy used car dealers. If you have trouble with your expensive new machine you want to work with someone you trust to get it fixed correctly and without ripping you off.
    Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 AM

I would say to buy a brand that has service available close by. That's the reason I originally bought a Bernina.
    Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 AM

I traded my Janome 7700 for a Juki TL2010. The Janome was too delicate for me and the issues people had w them remained in the back of my mind. It also wasn't good at going over multiple seams and was finicky/not enjoyable for piecing. Its oversized head was a bulky design and interfered w my sewing line of vision so it'd get uncomfortable from crouching. I used it primarily for FMQing.
    I love my Juki! IMHO, its stitch is more beautiful than the Janome and even my vintage Berninas. It's also got a large harp, streamlined head, and is a straight stitch machine. It takes different threads and doesn't even need a leader for piecing I can make an accurate, beautiful scant 1/4" sa easily and repeatedly so it's become my piecing machine as well! I smile every time I sew on it FMQ on it is delightful
    If you want deco stitches as well, I'd suggest looking at the brother dreamweaver. They're also w large harps, streamlined heads, and you get more bang for your buck w these than w the Janome. Similar price points get you laserpen, pivoting, and they seem to have few issues w them. I've read/heard great things about them and if I were in the mkt for a computerized, multi-stitch, expanded harp machine, this is what I'd choose.
    Happy shopping ~ please keep us informed!
    Jae
    Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma
    I would say to buy a brand that has service available close by. That's the reason I originally bought a Bernina.
    The best thing is to go to a quilt show and try the various DSM. Make a list to what features you want. BUY from a dealer that is located near your home for assistance and support. Dealers mark down their models at quilt shows because they are now open boxes and they don't want to have to take them home when the quilt show is over. I have two Bernina that I bought that way and they are still going strong.
    Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 AM

Hi Rglaes
    I have a Babylock Jane. It is a table top type machine with the simple features I wanted - straight stitch only, high speed (1500spm), and large harp(9”). I purchased it as a floor model in 2012 for under $750. It came with an accurate ¼” foot, a walking foot, a quilting foot, about 5 other feet, the needle down feature, the thread cutter, and an extension table. It runs nicely, makes a fine stitch and has more fmq potential than I do.
    I am planning to add a separate spool holder which I think will be useful when using the large cones. It also has a knee lift - but that is really not useful when using the extension table. I am always tinkering with the setup, but ideally it would be great to have it set into a table.
    If you are considering this type of machine, check youtube for Leah Day and Margeurite McManus (Crazy Shortcut Quilts). They both offer simple solutions.
    I am very happy with this machine - sorry I waited so many years to get one.
    Lefty - in Philly