Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sentimental Journey Quilt >

Sentimental Journey Quilt

Sentimental Journey Quilt

Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Default Sentimental Journey Quilt

Sometime ago I was visiting blockcentral.com. There is a quilt there that I was making by doing monthly blocks. The name of the quilt is called Sentimental Journey. The problem is there are no sashing or border instructions. I would like to finish this quilt, but need help, I am a novice quilter and this is my first quilt.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 AM

I found this information on their web site. Hope it will help you. " I f you have any questions or comments concerning our 2010 Block of the Month series, you can email me here[email protected]
I had a wonderful time designing this quilt. I hope you enjoy it!~Kim Noblin, Editor"
BlockCentral.com

Last edited by richardswife; 06-07-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by gferland View Post
Sometime ago I was visiting blockcentral.com. There is a quilt there that I was making by doing monthly blocks. The name of the quilt is called Sentimental Journey. The problem is there are no sashing or border instructions. I would like to finish this quilt, but need help, I am a novice quilter and this is my first quilt.
I think after almost 3 years if she was going to put the border and sashing instructions up she would have done so. Maybe one of the members with EQ will come along and help you with some measurements and instructions. Otherwise, sadly, you're on your own. Although, if you look around you'll likely run across a pattern with the same or a similar setting that would help you figure it out.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Don’t be discouraged. I do not have EQ, but think it seems pretty straight forward to figure it out. I will work on it, and get back to you. Beautiful pattern! Be sure to show us your finished quilt.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM

There has been a few threads about this same problem. Maybe you can find your answer here.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t132502.html
Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Woah, wait a minute! pull up the cutting chart for the entire quilt! Ah, hah! It tells us how big the borders are. I will go ahead and give you what I had figured before I found this part.

Here is how I came up with the answer (as an aid to you in future projects! ):

First, I opened the Printable Coloring Page, and saw that the sashing is the same size as the last round of the individual blocks. Also, the little Churn Dash blocks that are in the border are the same size as the Half Square Triangles which are in the individual block corners. So, we just need find out what size those are!

Then, I looked at the individual block patterns. I opened the PDF for Installment #12, which showed in step 7 that the side pieces being added as the final round on the block are 2 ½” wide. Woo, hoo! That is what we needed to do our calculating.

Using their finished quilt as a guide I can see that each block ends with the grey strip. Around that goes a pink strip then another grey strip. The unfinished width of these strips is 2 ½” (to match the last strip of the block). The dark grey cornerstones will also be 2 ½”.

So, you need a top and bottom sash for each block, that makes 24 strips.
And another 4 strips for the sides of the blocks on each row, so 4 X 4 = 16.
That makes 40 pink strips 2 ½” wide and 16 ½” long (Installment #12 said the unfinished block size is 16 ½”).

You need 4 dark grey cornerstones on each row of sashing, and there are 5 rows, that makes 20 squares at 2 ½”.

I would sew one dark grey cornerstone to the ends of a pink strip like step 6 shows you to do with your last round of the block (where you add the Half Square Triangle to your red strip). Make 2 blocks for each row this way, but the center block on each row will not have the cornerstones, just the top and bottom pink strips because they share the sashing with the block next to it.

This new “block row” is now unfinished 20 ½” tall (16 ½ block + 2” top sash + 2” bottom sash). When calculating this, we need remember though we cut the sashing at 2 ½”, a half inch was used up in the seams as we sewed it to the block. So, that is why I am adding only 2” for each sashing piece.

You have 4 rows, each at 20 ½” tall, that makes 82” tall for the grey border. It is good to cut it longer, then trim after it is sewn on, just in case! So, cut 2 strips of 2 1/2” wide grey at 85” for the side border.

Now you need the top and bottom border. Our blocks were unfinished 16 ½”. To that we added 4 sashings (remember the center block didn’t get sashing). So, we have 3 blocks plus 4 sashings (16 ½ x 3 = 49 ½”)+(2 ½ x 4 = 10)=59 ½”. I know there will be seams, but we need cut large anyway, so I am not deducting it since I am in a hurry before lunch ends!  So, cut 2 strips 2 ½” wide by 63”.

Hope this helps. If you need more, shoot me a private message, and I will continue with what I was doing. Good luck, and don't forget to show your quilt!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 AM

Grammatjr, you are awesome!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:40 AM

I printed the instructions for the quilt with the intention of making it later (after the last part was revealed). It does seem like something that can be drafted fairly easily (famous last words). I sent an email to that address, and never heard a thing. I was worried that something happened to the designer, but found references to her on other sites. I am glad that I didn't start the quilt, but it is still something that I would like to make someday. Thanks to Grammatjr for the information she posted, and I think it will help if I ever make the quilt.
Sue
Old 09-10-2014, 09:08 PM

http://www.blockcentral.com/bom2010-finishing.pdf