Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Serging Edge of Quilt? >
  • Serging Edge of Quilt?

• Serging Edge of Quilt?

Old 02-04-2017, 07:19 AM
    Swap Hosts

Default Serging Edge of Quilt?

For virtually all of my quilts I do a traditional binding, but I've just made a pile of quilts for the local NICU - they will cover isolettes and can then be taken home by the parents. The quilts are tied so they'll be softer and regular bindings just seemed to add too much bulk so I serged them. Thoughts?
    Old 02-04-2017, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

Have you considered 'birthing' the quilts? Seems like having the edges enclosed would eliminate fraying?! Just my thoughts. I am sure they will be appreciated. I make these too for the OKC Children's hospital.
    Old 02-04-2017, 07:29 AM

Don't see why not. It would reduce the bulk and ease the drape. A LA request that I stitch a 1/4 inch seam around the quilt to minimize stretching when quilting. I was thinking if a serged seam would do the same thing. Another reason to use my serger, LOL.
    Old 02-04-2017, 07:34 AM

I make NICU quilts too. I would birth them so there are no raw or serged exposed edges. And I would not tie them. Little fingers and toes could get caught in the ties. The hospitals like 1 side flannel for softness if under the baby or "won't slip off" surface if on top of baby.....Just passing on what I have learned.
    Old 02-04-2017, 09:38 AM

What size do you make your quilts. I would also birth them. Do you use batting or does that make the quilt too heavy.
    Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    I make NICU quilts too. I would birth them so there are no raw or serged exposed edges. And I would not tie them. Little fingers and toes could get caught in the ties. The hospitals like 1 side flannel for softness if under the baby or "won't slip off" surface if on top of baby.....Just passing on what I have learned.
    Yes, one side is flannel. The tie ends are on the right side and there is really just a tiny bite on the flannel side, so impossible for even an ant sized finger to get caught. I might try birthing. I originally thought of turning the backing over, but there wasn't enough. After washing, the serged edges were very soft.
    Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 AM

I serge around the edges of all my quilts and blankets before I add the binding, just makes it easier to manage. For babies I prefer the "birthing" or "quick-turn" method so all the edges are enclosed. It's really laziness, I make tons of them for various folks and it's faster if I skip the binding.
    Old 02-06-2017, 02:02 PM

The hospital I used to make quilts for preferred quilted quilts to tied -- they said that the ties have a way of getting into little mouths and stretch.