Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Square Rulers >
  • Square Rulers

• Square Rulers

Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 AM

Default Square Rulers

I have 2, 4, 6, 12"square rullers. Is there such a thing as a SET of rulers that go from 2" to say 16" including all the uneven sizes, i.e. 3, 5, 7 9" or would you have to order them individually. I know you could go to a glass shop & get plastic cut in those sizes but the closest place to me is 50 miles away, one way. I know most people don't use uneven quilt squares but in my case I start out with say 6" and they're not all the same so I try to trim down to 5". I know, I know I should be more careful but....... I do a lot of string blocks sewn to paper and they just don't all come out right.
    Old 02-04-2016, 10:20 AM

I have a 12.5 square but frankly, use it very little. I usually just use my 6.5 x 24" to square most of blocks. I find when the rulers are different manufacturer's during the initial cutting and then trimming process, things have a tendency to be a bit 'off'. I try to use the same brand ruler throughout my quilt. I don't know that I'd want to keep track of that many square rulers when the big one will do all the smaller measurements. I find my rotating mat to be most helpful during the trimming/squaring process.
    Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM
    Power Poster

All square rulers that I have seen have markings on them so you can use them to cut down to any size you want. If you have a 12 1/2" square and all the other sizes you list you can use them to cut down to any size you want, including fractions. It just requires you to flip your piece and cut twice.

I use my 6 1/2 to trim down to as small as 1 1/2 and everything in between. I use my 12 1/2" to square up and trim anything larger than 6 1/2" and I will use two rulers if I need anything bigger.
    Old 02-04-2016, 10:32 AM

I have the 6" square, 10.5" & 20.5". I use my 20" way more than the rest! You just have to square only two sides at a time, then turn your square and do it again to make it even all the way around. If you get distracted by the larger numbers, just put a line of masking tape at the marks you need.
    Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM
    Power Poster

I have gotten many templates from Baycreek Quilting. Here's a link to the square rulers. They do have sets. I am working on a quilt with 2 odd size blocks: 4 3/8 and 5 3/4. I ordered custom templates from them, the price was VERY reasonable and the turn around was quick.
    http://www.quilttemplates.com/squareuptool.html
    Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

The nice thing about square rulers is that you can use one for many sizes. Have you considered marking the size you plan to cut with painter's tape? That way you will be able to focus much faster and easier on the measuring lines you need to align on your fabric. This method will also work for those "odd" squares.
    Old 02-04-2016, 11:45 AM

I find it easier to square up with a ruler that's a little bigger than one that's same
    size. When the ruler is bigger you have two lines (vertical and horizontal) to guide
    you instead of the edge of the ruler.
    Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM

I like the June Tailor Strip Cut ruler for squaring up since I can cut two sides at the same time and make sure they're exactly parallel to each other.
    Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM
    Power Poster

I have 6.5", 8.5", 12.5" and the 15" Omnigrid squares. I use the 8.5" square the most. I prefer the 1/2" increment because that is the easiest way to size up blocks.
    Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Becky's Crafts
    I have the 6" square, 10.5" & 20.5". I use my 20" way more than the rest! You just have to square only two sides at a time, then turn your square and do it again to make it even all the way around. If you get distracted by the larger numbers, just put a line of masking tape at the marks you need.
    I am with Becky! I have a 16.5 x 16.5" square ruler that I use constantly. love it!
    sandy