Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • stitches >
  • stitches

• stitches

Old 11-28-2013, 04:50 PM

Default stitches

I need your help on stitches. my top stitches are showing on back side when sewing 1/4 inch seam on my quilt; I tighten my top tension just a little and top thread breaks what to do for this problem? thanks for your help
    Old 11-28-2013, 05:04 PM
    Power Poster

Do you mean that the top thread is being pulled to the back of your quilt sandwich while machine piecing? If you have tightened the top tension and the top thread breaks, the problem may be the bobbin. Does your bobbin case have a tiny screw on it? Take a picture of the bobbin case and position of the screw for a reference. Place your bobbing case over a bowl (in case your screw falls out) and loosen the screw a tiny bit. Try a quilting sample and if necessary loosen again if needed.
    If that is not the problem, refer to the picture to set the bobbin screw back to it's original position.
    Old 11-29-2013, 01:22 PM

You didn't say but are you quilting on a desktop or a long arm? If on a long arm, first get your bobbin tension right. Then loosen your top tension and sew a sample section and gradually tighten the top tension, sew sample sections until both tensions work well together. It's a tedious process but worth the time investment!
    Old 11-30-2013, 07:00 PM
    Gay

Is the top threaded correctly? When the foot is down you should not be able to pull the top thread through [don't try this with the needle threaded] If it pulls through easily, then you don't have the thread going through the tension discs properly. If this is not the case, try loosening the tension screw in the bobbin casing.