Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at Sea: To Paper Piece or Not? That is my question. >

Storm at Sea: To Paper Piece or Not? That is my question.

Storm at Sea: To Paper Piece or Not? That is my question.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 PM

Default Storm at Sea: To Paper Piece or Not? That is my question.

Hello,

I've decided to take the plunge and make a Storm at Sea quilt (it's on my quilt bucket list). One article I read online suggested that paper-piecing was the best way to tackle this quilt and most of what I've come across seems to take for granted that the quilter will paper-piece.

I had not necessarily planned on paper piecing, but I'm not really opposed to it either. Thoughts? Is paper-piecing really the best and/or only way to approach Storm at Sea? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks (in advance) for reading.

Best,
Aso
Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 PM

One of my first quilts was storm at sea. I started with making templates out of kitchen cutting mats using a print out from my quilting group but didn't think the 'drawing around the template method' would be accurate (I'd cut a couple!). What I settled on was using strips. I measured across each shape, straight edge to edge not point to point, and cut strips to that measurement. By taping the paper template to a ruler, I worked along the strip cutting the shapes.

With pieces cut by that method it went together perfectly. . . . the quilting left a lot to be desired!!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:09 AM

This is also on my bucket list, but I will be using Deb Tucker rulers for its construction, I really like her method and her rulers. Looking forward to seeing your project.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:35 AM

Don't plan on doing a Storm at Sea in the near future, but if and when I do, it will be done with paper-piecing. I really like paper-piecing, already do a lot of it, so just seems like it would be easier for me.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:59 AM

I bought the Deb Tucker ruler. Made a beautiful Hunters Star with one of her other rulers and loved it. So, I'm planning a Storm at Sea. It looked doable. I'm taking my time, a longer term project. I've saved several Pinterest colorings. Haven't settled on a particular one yet. It looks easy enough without paper piecing.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:46 AM

If you have an Accuquilt GO cutter, they have just released a die for the Storm at Sea.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:55 AM

I just found a new die available to cut it all.

https://www.accuquilt.com/go-storm-a...ished-die.html

Plus you can use the new app to see your fabrics. We just had a demo at the LQS all about it. Quite fun!

https://learn.accuquilt.com/go-quilt-tutorial

This quilt has been on my list for a while too.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:57 AM

I did my Storm at Sea as traditional piecing. If I did it again, I'd probably do the diamond shaped unit as paper piecing. In the guild show mine was in there was another Storm at Sea, the other quilter did do paper piecing and instead of a diamond used triangle units. It also was brighter and more modern fabrics.

Edit: Forgot the part about how I put all the first round of the long skinny triangles on all the diamonds and sewed them wrong. So then I took them off and proceeded to sew them wrong again! All I can say is that it was a learning experience and my vision was better in those days...

Did this about 20 years ago now, was visiting and snapped a picture as it hung over the stairwell. This was queen sized and sewn and quilted on my little old vintage machine.
Attached Thumbnails stars-sea.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-17-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:07 AM

I made a storm at sea using paper piecing but with the dis solvable fusible. It doesn't fully go away but it does get soft and it's almost impossible to tell that it's still there. I used the Ricky Tims paper that can be run thru a printer. It was great not having to pull at papers.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:13 AM

Iceblossom,

Beautiful quilt and pretty fabric choices for the design. It is interesting to see how different fabrics work up in each one. Thanks for showing yours!