Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip Cutting Issues >

Strip Cutting Issues

Strip Cutting Issues

Old 11-20-2019, 11:24 AM

Default Strip Cutting Issues

Good afternoon! I have the Fiskars Rotary and Ruler combo. I used to love it, but lately, I'm finding my strips are not accurate when I cut. The fabric seems to "bow" when it gets toward the center of the ruler. I've had the ruler for a few years and it just started happening. After my fabric is squared, I'll line it up, and make the first cut. Then when I check the strip measurement I notice that it's a little short on the lower and upper half of the strip. In addition, my fabric needs to be squared again. I've replaced the blade too. If anyone has this ruler, do you experience this or what might cause this, or do I just need a new ruler? I appreciate any help
Old 11-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Have you tried lining up a metal ruler or similar along the edge of the ruler that is giving you problems? It might show that it is no longer perfectly straight. I've also had problems when I didn't realize my rotary blade was wobbling while rolling because the blade wasn't secured tightly.

I hope you solve your issue - it is very frustrating to cut and then have to recut - such a waste of time & fabric. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Your ruler may have been used so much that it now has a curve in it. The only "fix" I know for that is to replace the ruler.

Use Notwendy's suggestion to stand the ruler on edge - If the ends are touching the table and the middle is not - that would explain the curves.

Try sliding a a thick piece of paper under the middle of the ruler - my favorite ruler was worn down a folded index card thickness in the center - on both sides (sob!) .

The wear is not easily noticed by just looking at the ruler.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-20-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I noticed that when I cut on one of those common white folding tables, that I had the bowing - turns out they aren't that stable for cutting, at least mine aren't. I put a thick solid board (which was a cabinet piece from the IKEA as is section, so cheap) under the mat and my blades last longer and I get better cuts.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Make sure your fabric is folded square and you're cutting exactly perpendicular to the fold. This means you'll need a square ruler. Use a horizontal line to make sure your ruler is lined up on the fold, then use a vertical line to cut.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:20 PM

Thank you all for the advice! I just laid it on a level table, and wouldn't you know it, there's a small bow in just the place where I see the issue in my fabric. I didn't know that could happen over time! These rulers are great, and I'm going to get another soon. It's good to know though
Old 11-20-2019, 04:33 PM
DJ

That's very interesting information. I would never have guessed a ruler would wear like that.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad you found the problem. I've had rulers wear out too.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

When I cut strips I put my finger on the line before
the line I am going to use.

If I cut on the 7-1/2" line I put my hand or fingers on the 7" line.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:42 PM

I was going to mention your Mat but I am glad you found what was wrong.