Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there a quilt binding tool >
  • Is there a quilt binding tool

• Is there a quilt binding tool

Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by gingerd
    Is this the binding tool you are referencing? I tried to search using Martelli on Nancy's notions and it didn't appear.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...binder+foot.do

That is part of the system, but not the whole thing. Nancysnotions has the whole system listed as the ultimate quilt binding combo.

The combo includes the stitch in the ditch foot, some zip clips (use instead of pins), minute miters (to make the mitered corners on both front and back) and most importantly as far as I'm concerned, the binding tool--it is the piece that makes binding easy for me.

The binding tool has a black part that holds two adjustable clear plastic jaws that clamp over your binding after you've sewn the binding onto the front of the quilt. The jaw on the back has some notches that you slip your binding into and it ensures that your binding stays in exactly the right spot so when you stitch in the ditch from the front you always catch the binding on the back and the stitching line is always in the same spot on the back.

Rob
    Old 01-03-2016, 02:36 PM
    Z

Go to Sharon Schamber's "Binding the angel part 1" on You Tube to see how to use one of the most inexpensive and effective binding tools, Elmer's School Glue. Parts two and three also follow. Since I have used her method, I have done no other.
    Old 01-03-2016, 04:40 PM

I do all my binding by machine; my arthritis just won't let me do anything else. I cut my binding at 2 1/4" for warm and natural batting. I sew it on the front with a true 1/4" seam, fold it to the back, hold it on the back using Elmers glue or basting tape, then I use a decorative stitch on the front, generally a feather stitch. It is not as nice as hand binding, but relatively quick and very sturdy. The more trouble you take with the glueing the binding, the better it will look.

pPam
    Old 01-03-2016, 08:41 PM

I do the same as CanoePam, almost. Just have not used a decorative stitch yet.
    Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 PM

I round my corners, use a uphostery machine with a binding foot, one step binding fast.
    Old 01-05-2016, 03:55 AM

Janome has a binding tool ( I have one) and youtube video tutorials. You can check it out. If it's something you might want, check with your LQS for a fix for your brother. There are fixes out there to conform to your machine. Good luck.
    Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 PM

I put my bindings on completely by machine stitching. I start by sewing the seam on the back of the quilt, then flip the binding, and topstitch to the front. It works perfectly and the binding is very durable this way. Saves loads of time too.