Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thinking Outside the Box >
  • Thinking Outside the Box

• Thinking Outside the Box

Old 09-20-2015, 07:15 AM

Default Thinking Outside the Box

Do you? For example, do you try to incorporate extra touches into a project? Introduce a color you may not have sewn before? Added Embellishments? Mixed fabrics as in cotton with Cuddle? I often wonder how many of us just stay true to a pattern versus altering it, adding to it, etc. It is too easy to just stay in our comfort zone.
    sandy
    Old 09-20-2015, 08:20 AM
    Power Poster

About half the time I put my spin on a pattern. I make the main focus fabric to be cut 8.5" square instead of 6" using the Warm Wishes pattern:
    Attached Thumbnails airplane-warm-wishes.jpg  
    Old 09-20-2015, 08:32 AM
    Power Poster

I have always ( jokingly) let people know I am Way to undisciplined to follow someone's pattern. ( unless of course I am testing a pattern for someone) if someone brings me a magazine, book, pattern, picture of a quilt and asks - can/ will you make me This quilt? I tell them no. I can/ will make you a quilt something like that....that theme, maybe that style, maybe that colorway, but it will not be that quilt. Even on the rare occasions I pick up a kit I change out fabrics and change things.
    Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 AM

I enhance everything I make whether it's a quilt, throw, mug rug, you name it. Sometimes it's a bead or two, a button, someplace hidden on the item. Sometimes it's put where it's noticeable. My hubby says, "Can't you just leave anything alone? LOL Nope, not me.
    Old 09-20-2015, 08:43 AM

I don't believe I have ever followed a pattern exactly. I am generally not even in the same room as "the box" lol lol
    Old 09-20-2015, 09:07 AM
    RST

I'm another who is not acquainted with the box enough to be outside of it. Never use patterns, always try new things. That's the whole point for me. I have a personal rule to never make the same quilt twice. The rare occasions when I've bent that rule I've been so bored, it's hard to finish the project.
    Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    I often wonder how many of us just stay true to a pattern versus altering it, adding to it, etc. It is too easy to just stay in our comfort zone.
    sandy
    Interesting topic. Sometimes I adore the pattern just the way it is, and don't feel it needs anything. But I will admit that lately I have been adding more original touches to my quilts.

For instance, the quilt I'm working on now just didn't look finished when I was done with the top. I added a border with unusual corners and that still didn't do it for me. I decided to experiment with some broderie perse (which I have never tried, so I'm stepping out of the comfort zone ) and it's really making the top come together. I've been having so much fun with this quilt!
    Old 09-20-2015, 09:38 AM

I do a lot if changes or make my own designs. If I find a pattern I love I usually leave it as is. I feel that the quilt will let you know what it needs. I study the top before I sandwich it and do what I feel it needs.
    Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

I will let the pattern be my guide but I rarely follow it step by step. Some of my guild members will buy a pattern and feel like they have to use the same color fabric as the pattern. And argue that the pattern says to use blue so you have to use blue. Sad people.
    Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 AM
    Power Poster

Thinking outside the box is a necessity for me every time I mess up. Can't tell you how many times I mis-cut or misaligned or mis-something-else. I have never copied a pattern verbatim and for that reason can't (or won't) use kits.