Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it? >
  • Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

• Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 AM

I say take it, sort thru it and get it to the people who will do something with it. You may really find some treasures
    in it, if not it will go to people who will dosomething with it. I always give me scrap bag to a friend of mine, she makes
    dresses for the little girls in Africa. She is really making some darling dresses out of stuff that I would have thrown in the
    trash. I'm so grateful I have her to give my scrap bags to. This could happen with you as well.
    Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 AM

I also agree that there is a reason this has come to you and you are doing the right thing to take it. Perhaps you might even pass some of it on here on QB. So many here do charity and donation quilting that a fabric bargain is always welcome and just what is needed. Just a thought for your consideration. Smilesssss.....
    Whatever you do with your boon, someone besides youself and your co-worker is going to be blessed and that's a wonderful thing!!!
    Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM

What a wonderful gift from her and from you to her (quilting the quilts) enjoy!
    Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Could you take the stash to a guild meeting, or meet with a couple of quilting friends at the guild location to divide & conquer? The help & encouragement of a couple of friends goes a long way in keeping from being overwhelmed. Good luck!
    Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
    You are a good friend....and good luck with this "gift". I think that this is the moment in our quilting lives where we have to decide what we want our family to do with our stash when we're gone. I've spoken to my husband and my 2 daughters. Each daughter has decided to take a sewing machine. I have the names of girls in my quilting ministry and guild for them to contact for the rest of the stuff. Neither of my daughters sew and my son would just dump it all in the trash. We collect our stash to eventually quilt with it so I think we need to make sure that the fabric and notions go to people who will use them.
    I was at a local flea market this past Saturday, there was a family of a wamon who had passed they had put every thing they didn't want into boxes and set it out to sell, this is a possibilty if you have time or maybe your friend could have a yaard sale of the things you do not want, make a little money to make up for some of the expences that come with a passing and the people who buy these things need or want them.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM

I would suggest you get your own place, so you will have plenty of space for all you have in storage and what your friend is going to give you.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Agreed - and how special it would be if some of her mother's stash fabric was in the quilt you made for her.

Originally Posted by countrycousin
    I agree that I would take it and make sure you make a quilt for your friend.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM

I would like to suggest remembering your local nursing homes, assisted living facilities, etc. Many of those residents are on Medicare and only receiver $40/mo (here in Mississippi) for necessities. Our local nursing home has a sewing circle, and the fabric is provided through the Activities Department. They are SO appreciative.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM

Bless your unofficial son. Help your co-worker go thru her Mom's stuff. You can decide what to do with it later. Hope you get your own place again.
    Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM

What a wonderful way to have a co-worker turn into a friend.