Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which Vintage Singer to watch for? >
  • Which Vintage Singer to watch for?

• Which Vintage Singer to watch for?

Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Well, this site has got me wanting an electric (have 2 treadles 27 and 27-4, both shuttle) vintage Singer but I am confused as to which vintage machine to watch for. I can only have one. What would be the best for FMQ and has the longest throat space? What is better the shuttle bobbins, drop in's or side mounted. On the 301's, they made long bed and short bed's...other than looking at them is there a way to identify a long bed? I read that (I think) the black and mocha were made as long beds and short beds. Is it the size of the flip up table? On e-Bay it is really hard to tell the difference. Is the slant needle any benefit for FMQ? I'm so confused but anxious...LOL I would love to put a motor on the 27-4 but that seems like desecration but, this machine also has no family ties. It has an 8" throat space but I can not for the life of me coordinate treadle and sewing at the same time. How did they manage the crank style!?! Anyways, any input would be helpful. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional and I don't care about the weight because it isn't going to any classes or anything. Thanks!
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 AM

15-91 gets my vote. It has a vertical bobbin, huge throat/harp, a gear driven motor - no belts to fool with. Parts are readily available, it uses the big class 15 bobbins and since the bobbin is under the bed of the machine you don't have to remove your work to swap out new bobbin. They are plentiful and inexpensive. I have 3 of them.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    15-91 gets my vote. It has a vertical bobbin, huge throat/harp, a gear driven motor - no belts to fool with. Parts are readily available, it uses the big class 15 bobbins and since the bobbin is under the bed of the machine you don't have to remove your work to swap out new bobbin. They are plentiful and inexpensive. I have 3 of them.
    Would you mind measuring the throat distance? With my 27-4 at 8", I would like to get a comparison in my head. Thanks!
    Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Another fan of the 15-91 here. I picked up a second one (table top) this summer for $20 at a garage sale.
    Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 AM

I love these machines, just bought one on ebay. Can not wait to get it.
    Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 AM

I think the 15-91 is about 7.5" throat. There is an easy mechanism underneath to drop the feed dogs. Very strong machine, will sew through almost anything! (leather, etc)

Also, easy to find. ;)

I know where there is one for sale in york county, pa. $70, the "twin" to my machine. Pm me if interested.

If you dont mind industrial singers, the 30-15 and the 241 have 10-11" throats. The motor hangs underneath, though, so they would need modification to go on a frame.
    Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1000projects
    I think the 15-91 is about 7.5" throat. There is an easy mechanism underneath to drop the feed dogs. Very strong machine, will sew through almost anything! (leather, etc)

Also, easy to find. ;)

I know where there is one for sale in york county, pa. $70, the "twin" to my machine. Pm me if interested.

If you dont mind industrial singers, the 30-15 and the 241 have 10-11" throats. The motor hangs underneath, though, so they would need modification to go on a frame.
    No, I don't mind an industrial at all but wondering about parts availability...I found a 241 on eBay (pricey @ $180)but found nothing on a 30-15, even on Google. That 241 looks like a quilters dream! Thanks for the info!
    Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 AM

I love my 301 for FMQ. It's 7 1/4" from needle to pillar. Saw a good looking 201 yesterday, but I think it had a shuttle and I have no idea how much thread they can hold. The machine is in Clare for $200 in a simple cabinet. He had good looking 301s for $175, which seems high, but they are reconditioned and ready to sew which is worth something.
    Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM

I think she meant 31-15 when she was talking about industrials. I have one, but I haven't used it much, so I can't comment on how well it quilts.

Parts for the 31-15 are generally super easy to come by and fairly cheap.

My favorite quilting machine is my 15-91 - lots of room under the arm, big bobbin vertically oriented, droppable feed dogs and very forgiving as far as balanced tensions go. I regularly quilt large quilts on it - queen and king size.

I also have a Singer 28, 27, 127, 66, 201, 301, 316, 401, 403, 500 and 503, but my favorite quilting machine for large quilts are my 15's.

This is near the center of a king-size - the top is 93 square, now, before adding borders
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]254952[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-254946.jpe  
    Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Wow, I'm impressed! My modern machines at 6.5" just can't do that kind of stuff! Thanks for the info, so far the 15-91 wins hands down!