Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wide binding >

Wide binding

Wide binding

Old 07-18-2021, 07:29 AM

Question Wide binding

Hello all,

I would like to put a wide binding on a quilt - maybe 3/4-inch. I know how to do it, but I am wondering why all the tutorials for wide binding use single fold binding? Is it just to save fabric, or is there some other reason I am not thinking of? I think double fold binding would look better and also be easier. Thoughts?
Old 07-18-2021, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I also would do double fold binding in whatever width you want. A lot of vintage quilts just brought the backing fabric over to the front to bind. Some people also use the prepackaged satin binding for some quilts. Do what makes you happy!
Old 07-18-2021, 08:19 AM

When I first started quilting I used a lot of wider bindings. I loved the flow of the bindings. I only used a single fold for them only because I didn't know how to do a double fold at the time. Do what ever you want to do there are no rights or wrong when it comes to the cut of your bindings. I have been quilting for more than 30 years now and still learn new techniques every day. You go for it.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:21 AM

I typically use a wider than average binding, I prefer a twin and larger quilt to be cut at 3" and I have gone larger than that. I make a standard bias tube, then do the french fold technique with mitered corners.

I love the way striped fabric marches around the border when cut on bias and do that often.

edit:

Here's a Fons & Porter link showing the steps. You can make the binding however wide you want. Standard is 2.5 I think, that allows for a 1/2" finish.

https://www.quiltingdaily.com/how-to...uilting-daily/

Old 07-18-2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I typically use a wider than average binding, I prefer a twin and larger quilt to be cut at 3" and I have gone larger than that. I make a standard bias tube, then do the french fold technique with mitered corners.

I love the way striped fabric marches around the border when cut on bias and do that often.

edit:

Here's a Fons & Porter link showing the steps. You can make the binding however wide you want. Standard is 2.5 I think, that allows for a 1/2" finish.

https://www.quiltingdaily.com/how-to...uilting-daily/

Thanks! That is how I typically do binding. But I am thinking to cut the strips at 4.5" to make 3/4-inch binding.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:42 AM

Kate at the Last Homely House does a pieced binding on the straight-of-grain with a 4" starting width for one of her quilts. The video, like many of hers, is more of a comfy chat than a strictly focused tutorial, but you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-BF6K_FRrE. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2021, 11:15 AM

The math I get for .75 is (4*.75)+(2*.25) (seam allowance)

or 3+.5 = 3.5 = .75 binding

Try cutting a piece of paper and checking -- my mental stuff isn't as strong as it once was!
Old 07-18-2021, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I use wide binding on many of my quilts. Wide binding to me is at least 1" inch finished but mostly 2" or more straight cut. The wide binding miters like butter, does not fray or look worn on the edge as many think. It adds so much more interest to the quiltt that already has a border, like a nice frame with mat.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

The only reason I can think of for using single layer fabric for binding is to save fabric.

Way back when, scrap quilts were from scraps - and for some folks, cost was a major factor in how they were done.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:45 PM

I love watching The Last Lonely House. I keep forgetting.