Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
  • Looking for fabric (quil)t shops >
  • Looking for fabric (quil)t shops

• Looking for fabric (quil)t shops

Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM

I am going to be in St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau this February and was wondering if any one new of any fabric shops on the islands. P.S. new at this posting.
    Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 AM

I don't but when I'm going to be travelling I just go to my browser and type in Quilt or Fabric stores in the _____area and do a search. I usually get a list from there and can go to the sites of the stores listed to see if they're quilting stores. Then I check how far out of the way they are and see if they're feasible to go to. However if you find some, they'll be on rather small islands so they aren't going to be out of the way at all. Also check in the touristy booth things. Sometimes they have rather inexpensive "island dresses" that can be cut up into quilt pieces. Be sure and prewash with a color catcher if you do that though.
    Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM

I"m headed that way next week!!!! great idea!!!
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the help, I'll do that.
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 AM

I know there is a fabric/quilt shop on St. Thomas. Went there from a cruise ship. It is downtown on a side street. They specialize is hand-dyed batiks and had a great sale basket. It was a fun adventure riding a cab into town and finding this shop.
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I"m headed that way next week!!!! great idea!!!
    I just signed up to go on the Bonnie Hunter Cruise in August to those places, let us know what if anything you find...
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ann S.
    I know there is a fabric/quilt shop on St. Thomas. Went there from a cruise ship. It is downtown on a side street. They specialize is hand-dyed batiks and had a great sale basket. It was a fun adventure riding a cab into town and finding this shop.
    I went to this fabric/quilt shop this past March and my DH & I walked there from the cruise ship. It was a good walk, but we took our time and not as far as all the walking we did on the ship,lol! I didn't buy any fabric because at the time we were there my DH & I both noticed a musty smell in the shop. We didn't know if it'd stay in the fabric or not and I wasn't going to pay the price of their fabrics and not be able to get rid of the smell. I was looking at their prices and they were quite HIGH. They wanted $12-$18/yd. for Hoffman, Timeless Treasures, Kaufman and others that we can get state-side at the time for $8-$9/yd. Of course the prices now here are more and I'm sure on the island it's gone up also. I still had a good time looking thru the shop. Enjoy your cruise! I'll be going on one the end of March to ARUBA!!!! Cruise baby, cruise!!!
    When you get off the ship it's towards the middle of town about 4 blocks up and towards the right, I hope this helps. I can't remember the name of the shop!
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 AM

Thats for the message, I am going to look for it and even if I do not purchase anything, I love to look and handle the fabric.