Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Baby DJ’s quilt >

Baby DJ’s quilt

Baby DJ’s quilt

Old 12-05-2020, 08:48 PM

Default Baby DJ’s quilt

Our Children’s Pastor and his wife welcomed a baby boy a few weeks ago. We normally do I-Spy or Quick Trip for babies, but we decided to do something different. We dug through our stash and found some Backyard Bandits that we had forgotten about. We also found the dogs and cats and thought that variety would make a fun Warm Wishes.

When I got the top together I couldn’t figure out why it didn’t look right. I had mixed up something while putting the rows together, so I had to take it apart and reassemble it.

During our stash diving we also came across this Minky dot fabric that was the perfect size for the back. When I say perfect, I mean I had about 1.5” all the way around. I managed to get it quilted and started putting on the binding. I didn’t account for the extra thickness in the quilt, so my normal method of binding wouldn’t work. Of course I didn’t realize that til the binding was completely on the front and I started trying to fold it over and stitch it down.

I have to say I love this quilt but I’m glad it’s finished. It’s not my best work, but I don’t think baby DJ will mind.

Attached Thumbnails c6017b50-39ba-461e-aced-f847335af74f.jpeg   c6576c24-83c5-47e8-9717-3bc2de480acf.jpeg   acd45a10-2c9a-4272-9766-4e3ed89ad2d2.jpeg   9fc9a02b-0dd8-4712-b97a-1570320b7b59.jpeg  
Old 12-05-2020, 09:42 PM
Power Poster

Cute critter quilt!
Old 12-06-2020, 03:22 AM

Thank you for your post and great job using your stash ! The baby will love the super soft minky backing.

I was racking my brain on what quilting question I was planning to post on the board when I read your thread...It was exactly what I was going to ask on the Quilt Board....If you make a quilt with a minky or plush fabric backing, what width binding should you use?? Can you tell me what width you used? Yours turned out great!!
Old 12-06-2020, 04:02 AM

Nice choice of fabrics and pattern. Baby quilts become "lovies" that last well beyond those pastel baby months. I would guess that your choice will keep the pastor's son happy and snugly warm well into his preschool years. Each of the "challenges" that popped up just make you a better quilter. Three cheers for challenges and wonderful results when the challenges are met..
Old 12-06-2020, 06:21 AM

You did a great job with this and the baby and family will just live it.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:16 AM

Love all the animals for the little one. Any of our grandchildren would have loved it. I use Minkee on the backing of as many baby or kid quilts as I can and still use a 2 1/2" binding. I sew with a 5/16" seam allowance on the back and then top stitch on the top.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:30 AM

He will love it!
Old 12-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Thank you for your post and great job using your stash ! The baby will love the super soft minky backing.

I was racking my brain on what quilting question I was planning to post on the board when I read your thread...It was exactly what I was going to ask on the Quilt Board....If you make a quilt with a minky or plush fabric backing, what width binding should you use?? Can you tell me what width you used? Yours turned out great!!
I used a 2.5” strip for binding and that was plenty big enough. My error was making the seam allowance too wide when I sewed it on the quilt. I didn’t account for the extra thickness of the Minky. I normally use almost 3/8” for my seam allowance. I should have made it thinner by a couple of thread widths.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Looks great to me. Perfect for a Baby Boy.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Great quilt! Sometimes it's the ones we think will be the simplest to put together that cause the most confusion! You got it, tho.