Kenmore 117-95

Old 08-24-2021, 10:35 AM

Default Kenmore 117-95

Among this batch of machines

A new batch just arrived

from back in May was a Kenmore 117-95. Except for two Red Eyes, all the other machines are serviced or gone. I was sitting on the motor for this machine for weeks, not sure as to lubrication. By way of distraction, I have a Kenmore Model 52 (158 series) up next, and the motor on it wouldn't turn at all and has a sticker on it about oiling it with a couple of drops every 6 months. The motor casing on the 117-95 has substantial wicking material in each end, but a very small opening for lubricating from the outside. I wondered if it should be oiled (I don't have a manual to check, and didn't look) but was very uncomfortable with doing that as most motors are greased, not oiled.

I ended up melting petroleum jelly in a closed, clear container on a black surface in the hot August sun, then injecting the liquified petroleum jelly into the wicks before reassembly. The petroleum jelly solidifies very quickly once out of the sun and out of the container. I'm still unsure about having done it this way.

The other thing I am wondering about with this machine is how it differs from a Kenmore 117-959

"New" freebie Kenmore 117-959

I wish I still had the 959 for a side by side comparison. I like the 95 more, at least the color anyway. It sews very strongly, and I happen to have an empty Kenmore cut table to hold it.
Attached Thumbnails 20210823_184321.jpg   20210823_144114-small.jpg   20210823_144134-small.jpg  
Old 08-24-2021, 12:02 PM

By zooming in on a picture of the 117-959, I figured out one difference between that machine and this 117-95. The 959 is a top clamp presser foot, this 95 is a regular straight, low, side clamp presser foot.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:29 PM

Good observation. I was just looking at the machines. I have a couple of manuals for the 117.959, but none for the 117.95. I did find the one for the 117.95 at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19...re-117-95.html Went to look again, and sure enough the 95 has regular side clamp feet.

I found something else in one of the 959 manuals that might interest you as there were some motors that were meant to be oiled and some that needed greased/lubed and supposedly the 959 could have either one per https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...page=31#manual However, the 95 manual only shows the one with the grease cups.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 08-24-2021, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
...A new batch just arrived
... Except for two Red Eyes, all the other machines are serviced or gone. ...
I couldn't tell from the pictures, were they all back clamp or combination? Are all the back clamp attachments, gone or spoken for?

Old 08-25-2021, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Good observation. I was just looking at the machines. I have a couple of manuals for the 117.959, but none for the 117.95. I did find the one for the 117.95 at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19...re-117-95.html Went to look again, and sure enough the 95 has regular side clamp feet.

I found something else in one of the 959 manuals that might interest you as there were some motors that were meant to be oiled and some that needed greased/lubed and supposedly the 959 could have either one per https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...page=31#manual However, the 95 manual only shows the one with the grease cups.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Thanks Janey! I like that the manual is the same color as the machine. Also I am leaning towards oil for this particular motor. I've had 3 other 117 series Kenmores and they all had removable grease cups with wicks for lubrication.