Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need opinions on a Viking 6460! >

Need opinions on a Viking 6460!

Need opinions on a Viking 6460!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Default Need opinions on a Viking 6460!

For some reason, I am just fascinated by this machine! Honestly, I think it's the pretty red color and the rainbow colors across the top. I know.... silly, but aesthetics mean a lot to me sometimes! Anyway, I have been looking at these old machines on Ebay and Etsy, and I'm wondering what you all think of them. Would one be a good gal for quilting? I really want to learn to FMQ and do SITD so I am mainly wondering if it would be good for that sort of thing. Hopefully you lovely ladies and gents can help! Oh, and one last thing.... what would be a good price for a 6460 in good working order?

Thanks so much
Candace
Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 AM

I have picked up a couple of these at garage sales. They are nice machines. I have a friend whose hobby is cleaniing and refurbishing the 6000 series of Vikings. The only negative I can think of is that the dials can freeze up with age when not used. That is something that can be fixed, but if you have one of those machines, you will want to use it regularly to prevent that problem. I think my friend usually gets about $250 for one that he has worked on. I am sure you can get them for less if they haven't been serviced but are working ok.

Dayle
Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 AM

I love the red ones too and have been coveting them. They do seem to suffer from some problems mainly do to sitting around, from what I gather. So, make sure it's in good working condition as you'd spend more on servicing than for the machine probably. They go for quite a bit on ebay, I'm afraid. I've seen them go for over $400.... and others missing attachments or with some problems in the $200 range. By the way, we have the same name and spelling too:>
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks ladies! And yes, Candace... I actually tried for your username when I registered here! LOL I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on buying one of these machines!! I just can't help but feel like I'm meant to have one! Do machines ever just call out to you like that? haha

Thanks again
Candace
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Okay, there is a 6460 on Etsy that I'm really considering! It has all the cams, bobbins, cover, everything is in working order. It also comes with a quilting table attachment and has several extra feet specifically for quilting. The lady who is selling it has had it over 15 years. It's got a 6 year old motor and a recently replaced transmission. It's selling for $350 and shipping is $35. I'll let you all know if I decide to get it! I'm really thinking about it!!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Dang! I just passed one of these by a couple of months ago at a Goodwill for $25! Had no idea that they were that popular or had that kind of value!

See? SO much to learn!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 AM

I see that it sold did you end up getting it????
Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I see that it sold did you end up getting it????
OMG!!! No, I didn't get it. I was counting on it still being there Tuesday when I got my tax refund. I hate being poor sometimes. Ah well... I guess I'll continue the search.