Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Thoughts on Necchi Supernova Ultra >

Thoughts on Necchi Supernova Ultra

Thoughts on Necchi Supernova Ultra

Old 11-14-2018, 12:31 AM

Default Thoughts on Necchi Supernova Ultra

I have my fair share of vintage sewing machines, but have access to a mint Necchi Supernova Ultra, with all the attachments, cams, booklet etc. for the equivalent of USD100. I am new to quilting and would like to know more about the Necchi with regards to quilting, piecing etc. My late mom had the Supernova many moons ago (she had bought it new) and sewed all her own clothes, most of mine as well as my two daughters when they were small, so it would mean a lot to be sewing on the same make of machine that she loved and got so much joy out of! TIA.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 AM

I hear good things about them. Haven't used one. However. they have a reputation for needing to be used. Tolerances are very precise and they can gum up if not oiled and used regularly.

Welcome aboard.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:01 PM

The SuperNova is a high shank machine, which is a little more adept for quilting and will take industrial feet. The feed dogs drop so you can free motion. There's three set needle positions, but you can often sneak in five. The harp isn't the largest in vintage machines, but it's not the smallest. It takes normal needles, class 15 bobbins... upper tension dial has twice the threads as most machines of it's day so you can really dial it in. There's even an indicator for presser foot pressure. They make l-e-d replacement lamps... you can still buy belts, and just like most any other vintage machine, you do have to oil it on occasion and read the instruction manual. Plus, it does a crazy bunch of deco stitches and there are several user groups online. 100usd is a fair price if it's up and running with no issues. To be safe-r, the seller should know the machine, have used the machine, and be able to tell you about it.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 PM

It is one of the better models. What I have noticed about them is the double layer cams, it gives some handy stretchy stitches and blanket stitch. I think "Ultra" is the one with double cams,
Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 PM

Thanks so much for the replies

Steelsewing thanks for all that information - it certainly helps tremendously. I know the seller and have bought from him before - he knows a lot about vintage machines as they are his passion. He is bringing it to me on Saturday for me to have a test drive and to show me how it works. In my mind I've already bought it!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 AM

Oh just call me Jim, lol. Here's your check list: 1. It's an old Necchi, make sure the wiring is good throughout. No crumbling insulation issues. 2. The light and 'fast/slow' switches need to be in good shape and the fast/slow motor speed should work. 3. Read, or have the seller show you how to engage and disengage the embroidery mechanism. This would be the left-most dial. It has numbers and an arrow and diamond like shape that appear in the window when you go to set functions. There should be a quiet, but yet barely audible 'click' when you turn the adjustment out of embroidery and into the 'regular' (straight and zigzag) setting. 4. If they are going to demo the machine, you want to see the zigzag stitch working. If it's that crazy number of deco stitches that you really want, then the single most important check on a Necchi SN is that the embroidery unit engages and disengages. *In all fairness... insulation can go bad on any old machine, so can switches and resistors, but not all classic vintage machines have a super fancy embroidery unit. =)
Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 AM

Thanks so much Jim I'm going to print this list off so that I'll remember to check all the items you mentioned! I'm not too hooked on the crazy number of deco stitches but I would definitely want them to be in working order in case I decide to sell it on one day. Thanks again!