Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
127K intermittent dirty stitches >

127K intermittent dirty stitches

127K intermittent dirty stitches

Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

Look in the service manuals - the older machines should time alike:
http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...e-manuals.html
I haven't got time to look but this manual may have timing info:
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
Timing is hardest the first time you do it. Enlarge any info you find so you can see it at a glance. If you mess it up you can always pay to have it done right but if you get it you don't have to pay...... LOL

Last edited by miriam; 12-11-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:10 AM

Thanks Miriam.....just wandered away for a moment back to Google and found an Adjustment manual for a 127/128 that details the timing procedure etc. so with that and the links you've given me I'm feeling pretty game to give it a go! Fist pumping the air and some ever so quiet happy dancing happening here (well, it is nearly midnight and the household is fast asleep...shhhhh)!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Alright then...took the janome in for a service today and spoke to the tech about the treadle. He reckons the timing needs adjusting. Ooooo, haven't done that before......should I let the tech do it for about $120.00 or is it something I can do? I'd rather do it myself but what does it involve...have had a quick scoot about the net tonight and not found anything specific to a 127 so am none the wiser but am really keen to learn. Will have another look on the net tomorrow....eyes are weary but any advice as always gratefully gobbled up.
Good heavens no! Firstly, $120 could buy you a whole new machine! Save your money and DL the manual linked by Miriam.
Timing usually looks like loose or weak stitches, and doesn't conjure dirt! Redmadder has a point: The take up arm would indeed be rubbing harder when you're treadling at full speed, so check that first.
Again, I'd only ever suspect timing problems when the stitch quality isn't right, and it makes no sense to fool around with timing for no good reason (this would be no good reason, unless the guy can tell you why). Is your 127 creating a nice strong stitch? If yes, don't mess with the timing.
I'll be near your place tomorrow afternoon (Kilsyth). PM me if you want me to have a look at the 127.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:26 AM

You Aussies are excellent, helping each other out in time (timing!) of need.

With the caveat that I really know nothing about sewing machine timing, it sounds to me as though that Janome Dude just wants you to come in and give him $120, and saying "It's the timing" is a standard-issue line.

You can solve this on your own and with manicmike's and QB's and Miriam's help. Keep your $120. :-)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I must have been still asleep - if it stitches it isn't likely timing - it is something else. Let the crazy person look at it... bake him some cookies or something...
Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Yes but remember guys in one of my previous posts I mentioned that I had some skipped stitches as well? That's what the tech was referring to when he mentioned timing. He suggested getting that fixed and then seeing about the black marks.
Thanks Mike, will pm.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

just a few skipped stitches could be other things. But you can check to see if the needle is right behind the hook. If you look on utube you can find how to see if it is time.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Well, a big thankyou to Manicmike for visiting me this afternoon and pointing out to me that my repro bobbin that I was using was in fact not the same size as the original one that came with the machine! And yes, you guessed it......black marks and skipped stitches vanished! Blushing madly and so grateful for all the help.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

At least it was an easy inexpensive fix!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I must have been still asleep - if it stitches it isn't likely timing - it is something else. Let the crazy person look at it... bake him some cookies or something...
Is that referring to me? Ruby2shoes gave me a box of chocolates! Had finished nearly the whole box before picking up Audrey