1916 singer

Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 AM

My husband and I always maintain all our vintage machines, cleaning, oiling and repairing. You can buy parts online. You have a beautiful machine...
Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

With the help of the internet you CAN clean, oil and repair your vintage machines. If someone is wanting to go vintage, may I suggest that you scout around the vintage sewing machine area of this board awhile before you buy. Most of the older machines will last a very long time and are very easy to use. If nothing else run it by us before you spend money on one. They aren't as likely to break as the newer plastic machines. Even the repair shops won't repair a plastic machine and there are no manuals or parts available for them. There is no point filling up a land fill when perfectly serviceable old sewing machines are out there to be had for not too much.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 AM

Hang on to that beauty and use it. So many of us have resorted to buying machines which were like the ones in our families back in the day. Having the heirloom and stories is priceless.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:37 PM

We have a treadle machine in our family too. My father traded a shot gun for it in 1917. My daughter has it and my job is to clean and oil it this Christmas when I go there. I will take a belt with me when I go as I know this one is fried. The cabinet has 6 drawers in it. I am excited to clean this one up and I know you are thrilled to get this one also. Send us a picture when you have finished "beautifying" her (or him). Glad your husband has a task to keep his mind occupied also. Blessings on you both.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Hi everyone I just inheritated my grandfathers sewing machine that he made quilts on. He made hundreds as I remember and would put a sign out by the end of the drive advertising his quilts for sale. People from all over would stop and by them. Anyway I have his machine and I looked up the serial number and it is a 1916. I think this is what people call a red eye. The machine is loosing paint and I don't think i should do anything to restore it. The cabinet is not in bad condition I did clean the would with old english cleaner and the cast iron I cleaned with just a little oil. I have a belt for it and was wondering if I should take it in to be cleaned and have the belt put on? I will post pictures of it. Thanks for looking.
How do you look up serial numbers for the old Singer Sewing Machines? I have a hand crank one that I would like to know more about. Bought at a Flea Market.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Think I posted in the wrong place LOL New at this. How do you look up serial numbers for the vintage Singer sewing machines? I bought a hand crank one at a Flea Market several years ago.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SueF View Post
Think I posted in the wrong place LOL New at this. How do you look up serial numbers for the vintage Singer sewing machines? I bought a hand crank one at a Flea Market several years ago.
Sue, you can go here:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-database.html

Old 11-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Be careful the products you use on the old finishes, may of them had shellac as the final top coat, and it is very vulnerable, no alcohol, saliva, or that type of cleaners. Use machine oil on a small corner it should loosen grime an restore the shine, be sure to wipe down with a very soft cloth afterwards. Be careful to not use any abrasives. Once you are done a good coat of turtle wax will do wonders.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm thrilled for you. I'd like to see her all cleaned up. Do you have pictures of any of your grandfather's quilts? And of him with them and/or the machine?