Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue >

1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue

1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue

Old 02-04-2020, 07:23 AM

The bobbin winder I showed was from 1917 with Scroll(red) decals and was put on the 66 that I believe was from 1908. Have you disengaged the winder from bobbin winding position and then unscrew the adjusting screw and push the winder so there is no space on the right of the screw (yellow circled) and then tighten the screw? I also have other 66s from 1929 and 1949 that have different (from the ones on this thread) bobbin winders with the electric solid hand wheels.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:56 AM

Janey, thanks for your continued help! I tried your suggestion and even went further by removing the adjusting screw completely and tried to get the roller to engage the handwheel with the bobbin both engaged and disengaged. It's simply not possible. The mechanism actually hits the sewing machine body before the roller hits the wheel even pushed past the point the adjusting screw will allow. I can't find a history of bobbin winding mechanisms but it's my hunch it changed over the years and my machine has the wrong one.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hisownself View Post
Janey, thanks for your continued help! I tried your suggestion ...
So you disengaged the winder from bobbin winding position and then unscrew the adjusting screw and push the winder so there is no space on the right of the screw (yellow circled) and then tighten the screw? If the winder isn't engaged the tire will not touch the hand wheel.

Then did you press the black part to engage the winding? After tightening screw as shown in my image?
bobbin-winder.jpg
The arrow points to where it should pivot. and the circle shows where to press to engage winder.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hisownself View Post
Janey, thanks for your continued help! I tried your suggestion and even went further by removing the adjusting screw completely and tried to get the roller to engage the handwheel with the bobbin both engaged and disengaged. It's simply not possible. The mechanism actually hits the sewing machine body before the roller hits the wheel even pushed past the point the adjusting screw will allow. I can't find a history of bobbin winding mechanisms but it's my hunch it changed over the years and my machine has the wrong one.

Maybe this is simplistic, but wouldn't putting a bobbin on the winder take up some of that extra space?
bkay
Old 02-06-2020, 02:21 PM

Hi Janey, yes I tried all those things. Tried even with a bobbin installed. The roller will not engage the hand wheel because it's too far away by almost a quarter inch. There isn't anything wrong with the mechanism, it just doesn't have enough adjustment to get the roller closer. Were there handwheels with larger diameters? Mine looks original though.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:41 PM

ahh just thought of a maybe for you . Singer handwheels were not always the same. the hubs on some were wider that others as they stood upright. Would that make a difference for you??

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...38-579297.html
Old 02-06-2020, 04:35 PM

A wider hub would definitely help out. My current hub is about 3 inches in diameter. If the hub were at least about 3.5 inches in diameter then the roller would touch.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 PM

Okay, after much looking and lots & lots of researching, I think I may have figured out that it is not the bobbin winder -- it is the belt guard. I looked at several parts lists that I have and found that the only difference was the belt guard. I went to look at the 66-1 with the spoke hand wheel and a later 1929 with an solid hand wheel with electric motor. Unfortunately, I misplaced the belt guard for the Scroll(red) 66. So I measured from the bend up over both belt guards and there is a one quarter inch difference. The electric belt guard is larger than the one for the spoked hand wheel. I then looked closer at the pictures you posted and it appears to me that your belt guard was not the original one for that machine.

I found a couple of pictures that match one in my parts list. There actually looks to be a good blog about reassembling a 66 bobbin winder that has a picture of the correct belt guard a little over half way down the page. http://errantpear.blogspot.com/2012/...in-winder.html There is also an ebay listing for a 66-1 red eye and if you look closely at the belt guard I think you will find it is different from yours. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Sin...-/273938858540

Also looking at the image that you combined three images, it looks like your belt guard is higher than mine. I do have a partial picture of the belt guard that I took the good winder off.
scroll-belt-guard.jpg

So, maybe tape or smaller diameter wide rubber bands may be the way to go. I had a problem with one of my bobbin winders and even with a large bobbin winder tire, it was still a little off. I don't know where it came from, but I found a tubular o-ring, that I slit so that it would fit over the tire. It was just enough to get the winder to work.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:00 PM

Janey you’ve found the evidence! I searched the Internet for a week and never came across the information you were able to find!

After studying those photos it is clear that the belt guard on my machine is not correct for my machine, but the hand wheel is correct. A quarter inch difference explains the gap I’m dealing with. Now to replace the belt guard with the correct one.

Thanks so much for helping me resolve this mystery!!!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:22 PM

Glad you and Janey got this figured out. But FWIW I wasn't talking about the diameter of the hub but the distance L to R as it sits on the main shaft.