Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Machine Manual >

1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Machine Manual

1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Machine Manual

Old 07-18-2020, 01:50 PM

Default 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Machine Manual

I am new to this vintage machine world. I have had a 1948 Feather Weight and love it. This afternoon I got a treadle machine. It has two boxes of attachments but I can figure those out later. What I need is the Owners Manual. The machine had a manual that came in one of of the drawers but it is for a Singer Electric Sewing Machine 15-91 Reversible Feed Lock Stitch. Not the treadle. Where do I go to find the correct users manual? When I search I keep being sent back to Singer.com or ISMACS but can't find a manual for the Model 66 1923 treadle machine. Where have you located manuals? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:00 PM

Here is a link to one. With early models 66 there is one difference worth noticing: When you take off the bobbin cover (completely) to clean and oil (taking out the bobbin case), there is either a screw in center that needs to come off too losen a bracket, or there is a lift up lever that slides to the side (up and towards you). If you have the lift up lever type, be a bit careful not to mess with the screw in center there, it can end up with a hook, race and bobbin case sliding about and a lot of fuzz with bobbin tension. You don't need to have the exact year for the manual, just be aware 66 were made for decades, and went through slight alteration. It came as treadle, and handcrank and electrical motor, and all three usually came with the same manual.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:58 PM

Interesting the ismacs link is a 1929 manual and has 4 pictures of back clamp presser feet. However, all the instructions for the feet are pictured as low shank. There is a 1913 manual for a treadle and back clamp presser feet instructions at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15...nger-66-1.html

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-20-2020, 03:33 AM

I did eventually find a PDF of the correct manual for my machine. I will continue to search for an actual original instruction manual. Below are some photos of the machine. And yes, I know I misspelled Singer on one photo.
Attached Thumbnails singeer-1923-head-decoration.jpg   singer-1923-cabinet.jpg   singer-1923-full-head.jpg   singer-1923-scratches.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 06:35 AM

You may know that your scratches come form 'pin rash" Sewists would often strap a pin cushion over the left eye to keep pins handy. Many pins have been used on your lovely machine. Part of her history.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
You may know that your scratches come form 'pin rash" Sewists would often strap a pin cushion over the left eye to keep pins handy. Many pins have been used on your lovely machine. Part of her history.
Yes, I made aware of that when viewing a tutorial on how to gently clean my machine. I recall my mother doing that on her machine, when I was a child learning how to sew. I guess like any markings, it give proof that the machine was really used and not just sitting in the parlor or bedroom taking up space.