1940 15-91 Full Restoration

Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 11
Default 1940 15-91 Full Restoration

This was left in my house when I bought it. It has been sitting for some years, but it is not in terrible shape. I started the process of doing a full restoration on the unit so I can put it to use. I really wanted to do a complete disassembly of the unit, but I cannot seem to remove the pin from the arm shaft. I have tried punches and an arbor press and it doesn't want to budge. I would like to glass bead the entire assembly and repaint it with a good etching primer and some glossy enamel and then do a full service / reassembly.


Are the pins tapered and how do I get them out? I suppose they do not have to be removed, but I would prefer to clean and oil them while not risk getting any glass beads in the sleeve bearings.
Attached Thumbnails 20180313_114815.jpg  
ngen33r is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
KalamaQuilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SW Washington USA
Posts: 3,911
Default

fun project, and welcome to the board, where ya been all this time?
some of our experts will be along in a bit!
KalamaQuilts is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:56 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 787
Default

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/ Lots of information and repairs on vintage sewing machines.
Welcome to the board and that's a clever user name!
pennycandy is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:10 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
OurWorkbench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,678
Default

Originally Posted by ngen33r View Post
This was left in my house when I bought it. It has been sitting for some years, but it is not in terrible shape. I started the process of doing a full restoration on the unit so I can put it to use. ...
I haven't had my 15-91s that far apart, but it appears that your machine may be a 15-90. I have a 15 that came with a 15-88 manual, however it had a motor and small hand wheel.

I'm thinking that the machine could have been put to use without a complete disassembly. Some would be needed to get he metal bits cleaned and polished. Most machines just need maybe a little kerosene cleaning and fresh oil to be put back in working order.

The decals look pretty good to me. I would polish with TR-3 unless the shellac is compromised, which it doesn't appear to be. Many have benefited by following Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-13-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: try correct line space
OurWorkbench is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:25 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 11
Default

I have read that entire blog and unfortunately nothing about removing the arm shaft. I believe that the one I have is a 15-91 because it has a potted motor with a worm drive, no belts. It is hard to see in the picture, but the bed has a big chip in it and the finish is so fragile that it just flakes off. Since I have already removed every other part for a deep cleaning, I don't want to only do a 95% job. A new paint job will last a lifetime. When I am done polishing all the tiny screws and parts, I will post a picture.
ngen33r is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 11
Default

UPDATE:

My GoogleFU must be strong tonight, I stumbled on the service manual for the 15-91. I am trying to upload a PDF but the server will not accept it.

For now I have it shared on my Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XX...xuQRZ61mz4aFSs
ngen33r is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 06:55 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 29
Default

Are you talking about the pin holding the handwheel bushing onto the shaft? On my 66 and 99, those were slotted screws.

That area gets a fair bit of oil, so it might be varnished in place. some gentle heat or a long soak in kerosene/penetrating oil might be all it needs.

I have not encountered any tapered pins on these machines, but you have tried punching both sides?
Puffie40 is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 10:16 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 11
Default

With some help, I was able to drive out the pins, both were tapered in the arm shaft and bobbin shaft. I only have the front bushing to drive out and the machine will be fully disassembled, short of separating the castings which I am not going to do. It is getting fun now.
ngen33r is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 29
Default

When I removed the arm shaft on my 66, I just removed the handwheel bushing and front bushing setscrews, and tapped the end of the arm shaft, which pushed the front bushing out. I haven't been able to remove the front crank, and I am a little hesitant to anyway since I'm not sure if the crank is statically set or adjustable.
Puffie40 is offline  
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,554
Default

It would be interesting to see the whole process if you are of a mind. I have a FW that needs the whole process, so following someone going through the process in photos would be interesting.

bkay
bkay is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
quiltnmore
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
12
08-14-2011 02:23 PM
gramma mo
Main
6
05-09-2011 02:56 PM
harryb1834
Main
6
03-29-2010 08:36 PM
ProLongarmARTQUILTER
Main
4
05-06-2009 12:16 PM
sondray
Links and Resources
0
03-28-2008 08:33 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter