1950 Singer in cabinet

Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Millie,

Are where any letters before the serial number? And can you post a picture?

Cathy
Mizkaki and Cathy:

Today I finally got the machine out of the car. Discovered I had wrong serial number. Correct number is 493519. I also found that it was made in China. I checked into "mysingerstory.com" which provided a certificate that this number was issued in 1851-1870. The decorations on the machine depict Egyptian pharoh and scenery. There are no letters before the serial number and per www.sewalot.com/dating_singer_sewing_machine_by_serial_number.htm and prefix letters were not added up to 1900 and came from several factories around the world. Boy this stuff is confusing.

Millie
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Cathy: No letter in front of serial number. The design on the machine is a sphinx and it was made in China.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Millie,

There is something not quite right here. Singer was not making machines in China in the 1800s and they weren't using the sphinx decals until 1891. Why do you think this machine was made in China? Can we see a close up picture of it?

If it is a Chinese made machine then you can't use the Singer data to date it. There is no dating data for the China made machines from the 1980ish era.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips View Post
Cathy: No letter in front of serial number. The design on the machine is a sphinx and it was made in China.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM

It's a Singer "reproduction"....I've seen both model 15s and 27s in the repros...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
It's a Singer "reproduction"....I've seen both model 15s and 27s in the repros...
Ditto. The Chinese Sphinx or Memphis decals are always a bit more garish in style and color.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Mizkaki and Cathy: "Made in China" was engraved on a metal strip underneath the head of the machine. I can't give you a picture because machine is being checked out and given a few new pieces. In addition, I still need to learn how to post a picture. I am also very confused about its age. I went to Singer on the internet and they sent me a certificate acknowledging that serial #493519 was issued in 1851-1870. This information was not guaranteed however. Nothing about being built in China, but apparently Singers were being built in several countries even then. In any case, I'm not concerned with the monetary value of the machine, just curiosity getting the better of me. It's in beautiful condition and I'm hoping I can learn how to use it properly.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 PM

Millie,

Yes, that serial number was being used before 1870, but not for the Chinese machines. This machine can not be accurately dated because there are no dating records for the Chinese machines. Singer assumed that the serial number given by you was for an European or American made machine.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips View Post
Mizkaki and Cathy: "Made in China" was engraved on a metal strip underneath the head of the machine. I can't give you a picture because machine is being checked out and given a few new pieces. In addition, I still need to learn how to post a picture. I am also very confused about its age. I went to Singer on the internet and they sent me a certificate acknowledging that serial #493519 was issued in 1851-1870. This information was not guaranteed however. Nothing about being built in China, but apparently Singers were being built in several countries even then. In any case, I'm not concerned with the monetary value of the machine, just curiosity getting the better of me. It's in beautiful condition and I'm hoping I can learn how to use it properly.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 AM

Marilyn,

Can you see the round dial/knob on the bed of this machine. Does your Chinese made machine have this knob for lowering the feed dogs?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 AM

Also, does the tension dial have numbers and does the machine have a reverse stitch?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 AM

Littlebear:

Yes it does have a drop feed dial and the tension dial does have numbers. It also does a reverse stitch.