1955 Singer Featherweight

Old 12-16-2013, 06:41 AM

Miriam I''m with you.
I wouldn't turn down a featherweight if the price was right but I'm not about to pay $200 and up for one either. Yes, they are cute but they are so small that in my opinion you lose some of the utility of a larger machine. I think the other machines make more sense. The Singer 301 machines tend to be inflated in price compared to the other machines too though not as bad as the featherweights. From what I've seen online they use the same bobbin as the featherweights which for some reason sell for $30 and up as opposed to $10 or less like most machines.
I haven't got my grubby fingers on one yet but the aluminum 99 clones like the Sewmor 303 that Joe has seem like they would be a good bet for a lightweight, useful vintage machine.
My two cents,
Rodney
Old 12-16-2013, 07:05 AM

Featherweights are cool, hip, vintage, retro, and 15 pounds. People want them thus they are going to pull more money. Period. $150-$250 seems to be the average based on area and whatnot, I would not tell someone to turn their nose up at the average price. I would deter them from $400+ however.

I would rather have a 201 but that's me.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 AM

It's supply and demand - plain and simple.

You put a FREE Featherweight on this board, and see how many people contact you for it

Put a FREE 66 on this board - and you may not get any.

Now the real craziness is with attachments. As most people on this board know, with one or two expections - if it fits a 66 (excluding back clamp) It's going to fit a FW!! and all the Singers in between . . .

Yet people with Featherweights will pay 3X as much for the exact same item if the Seller shows it attached to a FW instead of a 66.

I bought a FW because I'm a Singer fan- and it was one of the most expensive Singers I've bought - way overpriced if I compared it to something like a mint condition 1895 28 in a Gothic style case with an original hand crank.

If the Quilt Clubs get into a machine, then the price is going to go up, as there are a lot more Quilters out there than Singer machine collectors.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Well, I'm the proud owner of the 1955 Featherweight. I hope it was worth it, and I'm sooooo excited to see her and clean her up. I was born the same year so we already have lots in common as well as a few age spots! LOL
And thanks for all the advice and comments!!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM

For me owning a Featherweight is all about the memories of learning to sew about age 8. I started on a Singer treadle, don't have any idea what model. A Featherweight was the first electric machine she purchased about 1952. My not so DS made off with that machine, likely hocked it. I paid way too much for the first one I purchased but I wanted one. But my favorite electric sewing machines to sew with are the 301 and 306M.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Maybe it is a bout memories for me, too - night mares.....
Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Why are Singer FWs worth more than a Singer 99 or a Singer 66 or a Singer 201 or a Singer 15 or a 301? Most of the same people on here won't spent more than $10 for a mint shape afore mentioned won't hesitate to spend $275 or $300 on a FW - I'm at a loss.
light weight, easy to take for all on the go classes, retreats, guild meetings, vacation ect.ect. easy and small to store, nice stitches, and so dang cute!! Have 5 of them, gave one of my white ones to one of my 4H students and gave my sister a black one, so down to just 5 Singer FW I love mine!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by leaha View Post
Have 5 of them, gave one of my white ones to one of my 4H students and gave my sister a black one, so down to just 5 Singer FW I love mine!
you're giving away FWs. that's so nice of you. i have one purchased not too long ago and would like to get another one. but i am looking for a good price. over 200 is way too much for me.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 PM

I have a 99, a 101, 2 15-91s, a 27, a 127, and 4 221s. .... and other non singers as well. Featherweights are an investment at this point and $250-$300 seems to be the going rate. I buy them when I can get them for a good price but I paid $280 for my first one..... I had the bug.

And I love my FWs. They do sew a great stitch. They make the most soothing sound as they sew. They are easy to take with you to a sewing day with the gals..... and they are cute. I do a lot of piecing with the 221s, but, I don't do much quilting with mine..... not enough sewing space for a larger quilt. I don't do zig-zag even though I have that attachment. I can tell you that while they are all good machines, I like some of my FWs better than others. Actually, I think that using them makes them sew better. They settle in to be my 'go to' machine.

So, if you want one, go get it. You'll enjoy it and if you decide you want something different, I can't see them getting a lot cheaper. You can sell it and get your money back.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:07 AM

Congratulations, I hope you have fun with your new machine. I was lucky last week to buy 2, both had rather a lot of thread caught underneath. Thanks to this board and other sites I was able to clean and remove the thread. They both sew beautifully.