1st stupid q of 2014

Old 01-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Default 1st stupid q of 2014

Hey all, I replaced the worn wiring on my 66-16's foot pedal ( couldn't have done it without you). I think I have it right, sews like a dream but I thought I needed a new light bulb because it didn't turn on with the switch. However, it does light when I'm sewing. It's kind of neat actually but what did I do wrong? Did I do anything wrong? You all can quilt laughing anytime now.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 PM

I'm not exactly sure where you went wrong but from your power in your wires should split before the controller. Two wires go directly to your light socket with a built in switch and two to your foot control and motor with the control in line with the motor. Somehow you got your light wired in after the controller. I don't remember which thread from several days ago but I believe it was Oldsewandsew that posted a wiring diagram that should work for most machines. The diagram was from Sewclassic IIRC.
Rodney
Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 PM

I have the wiring diagram from SewClassic & thought I did it right. That's usually my problem, thinking I'm doing it right. Tomorrow I'll try it another way. It least I know the light bulb works.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:03 PM

and is the light going up and down in intensity with the motor speed? if so, you wired the light in parallel with the motor.
it's a nice effect though, the faster you go, the better you need to see, when it's not sewing, who cares?!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
and is the light going up and down in intensity with the motor speed? if so, you wired the light in parallel with the motor.
it's a nice effect though, the faster you go, the better you need to see, when it's not sewing, who cares?!
Yup it's wired incorrectly. Jim sent me diagrams...that helped me correct the problem. I posted them so I wouldn't lose them. http://createquiltsew.wordpress.com/...-pedal-rewire/
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 AM

Thanks for this site; the diagrams are the best because there are several views. Not everyone looks at diagrams the same way so having literal drawings + diagrams is very helpful. http://createquiltsew.wordpress.com/...-pedal-rewire/ This is great. I've printed them off & will give it a try. Thanks for all the help & if you all know the solution to this problem that means I'm not the only person to make this mistake. What a relief. What cool machines that you can wire them wrong and they still work.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:11 AM

You could have sold it on EBay as "unique" for $1000!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
You could have sold it on EBay as "unique" for $1000!
I should'a thought of that before I fixed it! Yes, one of the light wires needed to be moved from 2 to 1. So it's just a normal machine now. Kind of boring but if I need a little excitement I know I can switch it back.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM

I really wish someone could come over, and fix my possessed pedal.. I had the day from Hell yesterday, and it stated again today.. New Years day I tripped over the pedal to my Singer 66.. It was a big one shaped like a foot.. What ever I did, I knocked the thing inside off the other piece.. Of course I opened it up, and the thing wasn't screwed down.. I couldn't fix it, as I didn't know it had to be screwed down.. Took it in.. The guy said that it would be ready before he left at 3:00.. Since I was all the way out on our island, it didn't pay to go home. Ran errands, and stopped for lunch.. Since I was with the dog, I had to have a picnic in the car with the dog.. Went to Checkers. Of course the battery went dead, and had to wait for AAA, and find a place to buy a new battery.. Of course I missed picking up my pedal.. Fast forward to today.. I was using my singer 99.. and I started to hear crackling coming from the foot pedal.. I unplugged it, and still heard it.. I'm not sure I should take it apart.. Ughhh
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM

uh-oh. I still want one of those foot foot pedals so badly.