Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
3 prong outlet, 3 blade machine, plus 1 extra? A strange power cord. >

3 prong outlet, 3 blade machine, plus 1 extra? A strange power cord.

3 prong outlet, 3 blade machine, plus 1 extra? A strange power cord.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Default 3 prong outlet, 3 blade machine, plus 1 extra? A strange power cord.

This cord is connected to the knee lever in a genuine Sears sewing machine cabinet. The single short wire sticking out of the Kenmore 3-blade connector is bent in a U shape to go up and over where it plugs into the machine. But then where should it be connected? There are few places it is long enough to reach.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-12-2015, 08:05 PM

Strange plug. It's also the only one with a ground that I've seen for a sewing machine. The wires sticking out with the connector on the end are ground wires (at least the convention is green for ground). Is there a screw somewhere on the machine they can connect to?
Rodney
Old 06-13-2015, 06:18 AM

The best place for this I think will be one of those screw threads and nuts holding the internal motor cover in place. That is the only nearby one pointing in the right direction for the wire to slip under it in its current U bend shape and the only nut. The only other fastener close enough is a screw head and that is holding in place the rod which goes to the gear box driving the shuttle and hook. Or the two screw heads holding up the plate where the cord connector is bolted on but I do not like those as they are too close to the machine's edge and the wire might get pinched when putting the machine down in the cabinet.

Thank you for confirming that green should be ground.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:22 AM

I had a weird cord someone had made that had a grounding wire not to the machine but to the foot controller. I ended up re-making the cords normal without a ground wire. None of my other machines are grounded and there doesn't seem to be a need for it.

I wonder if he was getting some tingling due to a short and did that to "solve" the problem?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 PM

I just got the same machine without a cord. I used to one off my Commander to test it out and it doesn't have the ground. It works fine without it. I've never seen a ground on a machine like that before. Seems kind of strange that it would ground to a machine. Wouldn't the cord be a ground? If plugged into a house that was grounded? Maybe this was before it was common to ground a house.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:28 AM

Stranger still, that wire coming from the 3 prong male connector looks like a 2 wire...