301 hand wheel resistance

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Default 301 hand wheel resistance

I can feel resistance in the hand wheel of a 301, just before the needle bar is all the way down. The machine has been cleaned and oiled? I can't figure out what is causing it. Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:52 PM

I would oil it again in ALL the oil points. I would also drop a single drop a the needle bar connection. Also open the plate up and make sure the needle isn't binding on the bobbin case somewhere. It could be just a smidgen. The needle also may not be fully seated due to a tiny dust bunny.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I would oil it again in ALL the oil points. I would also drop a single drop a the needle bar connection. Also open the plate up and make sure the needle isn't binding on the bobbin case somewhere. It could be just a smidgen. The needle also may not be fully seated due to a tiny dust bunny.
Thanks, I'll give it another try
Old 09-06-2014, 05:16 AM

I tried for a month on one only to finally remove the bobbin case and fine a very small piece of thread. Hope it is that simple
Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 AM

I agree with Crocee. Back to the beginning and re-clean and re-oil anywhere two metal surfaces move against each other. Be sure you used grease on the gears too.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I just had a similar issue with my new to me 301. It sort of hesitated every time the wheel went around. I took off the hand wheel and cleaned out a bunch of gunk. Oiled lightly as per Joe Miller's advice and put some lube on the gear. All moves better now and is more quiet. Not sure this is your issue though but might be.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:22 AM

Thanks for all of the possible solutions. I have re-oiled and re-lubed, taken the hand wheel off and cleaned inside. It is better, but not perfect. I sews beautifully, so maybe with time it won't be an issue. It has come a long way from when I bought it. It was being sold on eBay for parts due to "a tight motor". It was full of old oil and grease. The motor is just fine. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:03 PM

sjdal,

I think I would take the screws out of the stitch length cover plate, and make sure that everything in there has plenty of oil on it. Just remove the screws and let the little brown plate dangle on the feed lever, tip the machine back, and peek in there with a flashlight while moving the feed lever up and down slowly. Be careful not to get the dangling plate in any kind of a bind. Then put oil on everything inside there that moves.....or even if it doesn’t move. Oil everything in there.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Banned

When I got my first 301 it had the same issue, it felt like it had a bind at the hand wheel end, and every so often it would skip stitches. I took everything apart, cleaned and oiled everything a few times to no avail. It was driving me crazy. Finally about the fourth time I was looking things over, I finally spotted a piece of clear nylon thread behind the bobbin case base. Some quality time with a pair of tweezers and I got about a half dozen little pieces of that clear thread out. All problems solved.

Cari
Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 AM

Again, thanks! Two more great ideas. I'll try both this afternoon.