Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
301 - help me tweak it, please >

301 - help me tweak it, please

301 - help me tweak it, please

Old 01-04-2016, 02:25 AM

To continue the bobbin discussion... could have been, maybe has been...a thread of it's own. I'm concerned about the rims and total smoothness. When I test for tension by pulling thread off, I try to detect unevenness. I worry about little jerks and snags in the action that imply something worn or imperfect.
Obvious nicks and warps can be detected, polished and straightened, but any snaggy bobbin that I can't fix, is out. I don't care how nice and shiny it is, if it snags, it's out.
I know a lot of people consider vintage steel bobbins far superior to modern ones, and won't consider plastic. I will not argue with that. However, I prefer a smooth, good quality plastic one to a bad steel one. Especially in the Singers with the drop in bobbins, I usually get smoother delivery from plastic bobbins than with the steel ones that come with the machine.
A steel bobbin will retain any warp or unevenness it suffers, sometimes very small and hard to spot. Plastic will either break or bounce back.
Another factor my local retired mechanic is adamant about, is that steel bobbins, especially imperfect ones, will wear the housing more than plastic ones.
The proof of the pudding is in the stitch quality and consistency. Maybe I'm on the wrong track, and would love to hear what experienced sewers think.
I'm not suggesting the problem that started this thread is in the bobbins, I think that has been covered by experienced sewers and quilters.

Last edited by steihy; 01-04-2016 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:12 AM

You can probably get away with much shorter tails if you just hold them - even if using a leader. As someone else said, used to be taught 'back in the day' (when I learned to sew) and I still just do it out of habit.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:10 PM

WIC...I never use anything but SINGER needles in my 301's !!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM

I have 2 301s. They both require the same size bobbin as the Featherweights.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:51 AM

I call my leaders spiders, because by the end of the project they look like a web.
HelenAnn
Old 01-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Wow! My 301s are much less fussy than this post appears - try an Elna. Did you remove the bobbin part that holds the case? The one you have to remove the screws from the top? If you did, that finger has to be exactly in the grooves in the removed plate before you tighten the screws. It will pretend to be correct, but do just what you describe. My 301s sew with any needles and without holding thread tails, but not with that finger out of place.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by hoprigmom View Post
Yes, the 301 are very fussy about the bobbins. I was advised to get Singer bobbins and not a generic type bobbin. So far, no problems. And you need to hold the ends of the threads to start off or use leaders and enders. Don't give up as the 301 makes beautiful stitches.
Most of my elderly machines don't like the new bobbins, fortunately they all have vintage bobbins. Don't ever turn the hand wheel backwards on the 221 and 301, you'll get thread behind the hook; requires "surgery" to remove them.
Sharon in Texas
Old 01-16-2016, 02:49 PM

WOOHOO! She sews again! Sat down this afternoon to try again...same thing. She literally pulls the tails out of my hand. After sitting, she does get stiff in the tension, so re-threaded the top. Took out the needle, checked flat side and re-inserted. Same thing. Thinking about what IrishRose said, took another look at the bobbin case. Pulled it out, checked for direction of wind. Re-inserted...fussy, hard to seat. (I had oiled that bobbin race bearing & had been moving that hook around.) Shouldn't be that way. Rotated that hook to where, oh yeah, it's supposed to be. Inserted the bobbin/case (easy!) Grabbed the fabric & away she goes. Easy on the tails, catching the corners just right (I am chain piecing). SO happy, she sews like a dream again. (She does communicate, I just have a hard time understanding). Thank you so much for everyone's help! Everyone here is so helpful, kind, & patient. I am fortunate to know you all.

I am working on a queen size quilt for DS's 25th birthday...in March...of this year. I wanted to piece it on the 301, and these are the first seams I've been able to sew. I am far behind, but I may be able to get the top done in time.

Feeling lucky...might have to tackle that serger I was going to murder a few months ago!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:41 PM

Lori, did you remove the plate under the presser foot and put the 'finger' in the groove? It won't stay pointed up and will act up again if you don't. The screws are on the top of the plate. So happy your vintage lady is behaving for you now.

We can work on sergers together. I have one belonging to the church that is giving me fits. My own has a broken looper, but this seems to be intact, just bratty.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:47 PM

Love my 301's.. .but they too are a bit picky about the bobbins I use, no freshly minted Chinese ones please.

It's funny you mention sergers that are acting up. Went to use mine today and it wouldn't form a stitch... upper looper is broken at the very tip.... sigh... have to track down a replacement. Moral of the story is I need to stop lending my sister my machines.... she always manages to break something but never say a word about it.