301 tension

Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM

Default 301 tension

I thought there was a sticky on tensions, but I'm not finding it. I need to take the tension off my 301 and I wanted some guidance. Problem - the tension is set on 0 and it's still too tight. This is my FMQ machine and there is king size quilt wanting its services. My son put a new spring on it a year ago and it was okay then.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 PM

First question: Does the tension release when you lift up the presser foot? If it does, I'd be tempted to run some material between the discs and make sure nothing is stuck in there.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 PM

I don't remember if it is my 301 or not, but one of my machines is picky picky picky about the presser foot being down in order to change tensions, stitch sizes or anything else. If you aren't seeing any differences, try it with the foot up (or down).
Old 09-20-2018, 02:11 PM

Leon, I have recently cleaned them with dental floss, but I can do it again. No, nothing moves when I raise or lower the presser foot, not like on the other 301.

Iceblossom, no change there, either.

I'm thinking something isn't lined up inside and there's only one way to find out.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:29 PM

Hold off on the floss. hinge the faceplate open and watch what should happen when you lift the presser foot. Linkage goes across the front and should push a rod (invisible mostly) through the center of the stud that holds the tension bits. Going by memory here, but I think I am right.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I thought there was a sticky on tensions, but I'm not finding it. I need to take the tension off my 301 and I wanted some guidance. Problem - the tension is set on 0 and it's still too tight. This is my FMQ machine and there is king size quilt wanting its services. My son put a new spring on it a year ago and it was okay then.
When you replaced the spring did you take apart the assembly and clean thoroughly?

I know there is a youtube by Archaic Arcane on the tension assembly, but can't find it now. I did find a thread here about having tension problems - Singer 301 frustration As Joe Miller indicated that the insides of the assembly could be varnished over and would need to be cleaned.

If you download the manual at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf the tension part begins on page 11. It is possible the tension got bumped and knocked out of whack. If you look at the bottom of page 12 (which is page 24 of that manual) you can read how to reset it.

Since you said nothing moves when you raise and lower the presser bar, I'm thinking that it needs a complete disassembly and cleaned thouroughly. Although it says that you don't need to remove the stud "O" to disassemble the thread tension, I think that you may need to. There is a pin in there that needs to move freely, which if it is dirty and gunked up, it will need to be cleaned.

I hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Hold off on the floss. hinge the faceplate open and watch what should happen when you lift the presser foot. Linkage goes across the front and should push a rod (invisible mostly) through the center of the stud that holds the tension bits. Going by memory here, but I think I am right.
Good memory. I had a feeling you could help me. When I lower the presser foot, a spring goes forward and so does the linkage, but nothing happens to the tension disks. When I do the same on the 301 whose tension is good, the tension disks move closer together as the linkage pushes on the little rod.

WorkBench, Yes, my son cleaned everything, but it may not have noticed any hardened varnish, though I doubt if there is any. It has been a very clean machine. The tension has been a little tight since D changed the spring, so I think redoing it is a good idea - I'm just concerned that I can't do it. I remember he had some issues lining everything up and he is McGiver Jr. I do have a copy of the manual which he used.
I did read on the link you sent about old Singers using 50 wt thread. Interesting as this is 40 wt and she has been sewing okay with 50 wt. On my last quilt, she balked at 40 wt which is why I had to get the back up, but it's a long bed.

I did see a possible temporary cure for my problem. It looks like the long bed on ErinRose (good tension) is only held on by screws - AnnieRose's (sad tension) short bed should be the same. If I switch them then The 'good' one will fit in my sewing table and get this quilt done. I need the flat surface to use quilting rulers.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 09-20-2018 at 07:38 PM.