301a bobbin keeps falling out

Old 03-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Default 301a bobbin keeps falling out

I recently purchased a Singer 301a sewing machine. It has been working fine. Been sewing with it for about 3 weeks. Have even refilled the bobbin a couple times. However, this time after I refilled the bobbin, it will not stay in. When I tried to click it in place under the machine, it does not seem to "click" any more. Did something break?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

I have struggled with a machine or two that were bobbin ejectors. There may not be a simple answer and I may not have your answer.
Does the bobbin fit the bobbin case with out sticking out just a wee bit? Is it the correct Bobbin? Is it the correct bobbin case? (Likely yours IS correct, but is it a brand new one or original?) is the bobbin case clean of lint, dried up oil etc way inside? I have goten into the habit of taking mine apart routinely and cleaning when I get a machine On my bench. Is the bobbin warped or in some way damaged?does it happen with all your bobbins or just certain ones? Is there a plastic spacer or something foreign in the bobbin case? Can you trade bobbin cases with another like bobbin case and see if it does ejects too? Is there lint in the shuttle or under your throat plate? Does the spring on the bobbin case work? Let everybody know what you do find.

I just had a machine - not a 301 but a 15 type. It came with no bobbin case and I put one I had on hand in and it ejected. I found I needed one with a different slot. This in no way is relevant to your 301 but for someone else it might be helpful.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:53 AM

The finger of the bobbin case holder is probably not in the little groove that is in the needle plate. Every time you take off or loosen the needle plate, you have to make sure the finger is in the slot under the needle plate. Without doing that, the bobbin case won't be securely in and will fall out or just spin. It is because the 301 is a rotary bobbin, not an oscillating one. I have serviced many 301s, and this is the normal culprit.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:37 AM

In addition to what Miriam suggested (making sure no thread or lint in case or under needle plate), I would check that the bobbin isn't over full and wound evenly.

Also check what lswan suggests. Do you have a manual? The manual I have has a "Caution" paragraph on the page about replacing the bobbin case to make sure the finger to fit the bobbin case base enters the notch.

Another thing I think that has helped when I have had trouble getting the bobbin case to 'click' is to make sure the needle is in its highest position, not just raised slightly.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 AM

*** Both of my 301-A will spit out the bobbin if there is thread in the area.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM

Ok it seems that the bobbin was probably too full. Now the thing that the bobbin clicks into catches the thread and does not allow it to move, so you have to cut it the wad of thread away from the material and pull the rest out of the mechanism so it is not sewing any more.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by jammyster View Post
My 301a machine was working fine for the 3 weeks that I have had it. Even filled up the bobbin a couple times. The third time in filling up the bobbin, I started getting a problem. First I was having a problem with the bobbin not staying in the bobbin mechanism. (Found out it was too full). Then I found it was threaded wrong caused by the thread whiplashing. So now I have the thread getting stuck in the bobbin mechanism every time. What is going on?
Originally Posted by Patricia M. View Post
There should be a few free manuals on line that you can download, I went to ISMACS to get mine. Have you cleaned the bobbin area and under the needle plate? Clean the bobbin case, maybe a few drops of oil in the bobbin area. Best I can say is get a manual and read it.
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Sounds like perhaps when you were having your whiplashing problem a tiny bit of thread got stuck somewhere. Look in there with a flashlight both from the side where you insert the bobbin case as well as from the top (remove the cover plate). You can try using tweezers to remove any stuck bits. I've been surprised in the past thinking I'd removed every little piece and found some pesky bit still stuck. Amazing the havoc those little bits can cause.
Do you have a manual? Is this your only machine? You might want to download manual for the 221 as it uses the same type of bobbin area parts.
http://www.singerco.com/support/instruction-manuals
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...e-manuals.html

As mentioned in above quotes and this thread, there is probably another thread or lint somewhere in that area that needs to be removed. See also http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...m-t269179.html

I have found that when the bobbin gets wound too full, it is generally wound too loose. Did you make sure the thread was seated correctly between the tension discs (on bed of machine) while winding the bobbin? I would suggest taking thread off bobbin and rewind the bobbin, making sure it is even and correct tension -Not too loose, Not too tight, Not uneven.

Something else that might cause thread jams is that the presser foot is not lowered and/or not enough pressure. Have you messed with anything else while trying to get it to sew?

Take a deep breath. Make sure everything is cleaned (no thread bits or lint) and is threaded correctly and the thread is "seated" correctly both top and bottom. There is an old saying - "When all else fails -- read the directions" LOL

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-10-2017 at 04:46 AM.