301a sewing speed

Old 02-13-2016, 05:16 PM

I really dislike those button controllers - just not enough room for my shoe! (I have to wear shoes as my right big toe is fused). Going to order a solid state one for my Featherweight! Thanks for nudging my brain!!

PS - of course I will keep the original for the next owner to use in a very long time from now!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:21 AM

Margaret - check out the newer posting by Bonnie Hunter showing how to make a very useful "adaptor" for a buttonstyle controller - looks easy to make and would be great to have

http://quiltville.blogspot.ca/2016/0...solutions.html
Old 02-14-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Taking my shoe off allows me to have a better feel and control with my toes. I know that sounds strange, but it helps me!
Yes, I agree. It sounds or seems crazy but it works for me too.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 PM

I use the button controller the wrong way around (I think); I have my foot on top of the pedal and the big toe on the button (the power cord side is closer to the heal of my foot). There is a description or manual some where on the web on how it's suppose to be used. It shows a lady with shoes on and she has the heel on the floor and the tip of the shoe up against the button side of the controller. The shoe rests on the solid bakelite knob, and you press on the button with the right side of your shoe tip. I have tried it and it works. I think the manual was made in a time when leather soles were more common and women often had shoes with a one and a half inch shoes. Lots of shoe types will work just as well with this approach, not all though. In the house I tend to wear socks only and that's why I use it the wrong way around, it works very well for me.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-14-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:35 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be sewing a lot on the 301 today and hopefully it'll run at a 'good pace'.

Nancy
Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Not strange to me at all! I never sew with shoes on I prefer sewing (or most other things) barefoot.

Cari
Wow! I thought I was the only one that sewed barefoot (or just in socks). I have a lot of trouble sewing in shoes. If I"m having to go in and out while I'm sewing I put on my garden clogs so I can kick them off when I sit back down at the sewing machine.

BTW, I also drive barefoot. I have a standard shift car and I find it much easier. My husband made fun of that until we were watching "Top Gear" and Tanner was going to drive a Noble at speeds close to 200 mph and said that that kind of driving called for no shoes.

So, I figure that just means we're in the high performance sewing league.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Wow! I thought I was the only one that sewed barefoot (or just in socks). I have a lot of trouble sewing in shoes. If I"m having to go in and out while I'm sewing I put on my garden clogs so I can kick them off when I sit back down at the sewing machine.
I have shoe issues due to broken bones and a bad scar from stepping on a broken beer bottle in my teens. The only shoes I wear at all any more are the garden clogs from Fred Meyer. At $12-15 a pair, I usually only have to buy a new pair about once a year. Saves a lot of money.

Cari
Old 02-20-2016, 02:02 PM

UPDATE: I sewed all afternoon with shoes on and the speed was to my liking. I believe the even pressure of the front of the shoe helped me.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Nancy