99 in blonde

Old 11-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Default 99 in blonde

I stumbled upon this Singer 99 on Craigslist and, although I need another sewing machine like I need a communicable disease, the idea of a 3/4-size machine in a cabinet (with matching bench!) intrigued me. I've never been a fan of blonde wood but I'm softening towards it for the way it evokes that optimistic era of the 1950s. This needed a good scrubbing with Murphy's Oil Soap for its bright finish to shine again.

Cleaned up, the machine itself had that wonderful gloss the 99s always seem to possess but when plugged in, sounded like dragging an empty galvanized trash can across the driveway. I dabbed away at its innards with a stubby natural-bristle brush and kerosene, oiled carefully and she's humming again. The upper tension had been re-assembled incorrectly, but worked fine once that was straightened out. The lower tension needed a little tweaking too; I like to get the tension as loose as possible and still have the stitches neat, so multiple rows of stitching are less likely to stiffen my project.

Time to put the little one through her paces. (I don't think I've ever made anything on a 99 before, although I have a few of them.) I made a kitchen towel with four layers of muslin and tried out my new Olfa chenille cutter, put a couple of buttons on top and hung it in the kitchen to dry hands. The 99 performed like she just came off the showroom floor. I think the glossy black machine against the light wood looks snazzy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536248[/ATTACH]

Does anyone else use a 99?
Attached Thumbnails singer-99-blonde-012.jpg  

Last edited by Manalto; 11-21-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:34 PM

I use my 99K some times, I used it quite a lot up until a year ago when I got my 201 and most of my effort has since been on it. I also bought an Elna Supermatic not too longer ago too, and it has taken a bit of my time on the sewing front.

The 99K I have is the old version with the stitch length adjuster knob and no backtack lever. It's a nice machine, contrary to a lot of people I find it quiet and smooth, except for when it's working hard. It was my first vintage machine handed down to me from a great aunt and I had it rewired. It makes perfect stitches, there's no reason not to use it :- )

I like those blond wood cabinets too, they seem to be a few of them made in the 40s and 50s. The finish on old cabinets in general is often very worn, but with a coat of new lacquer they look like new. When sanded down you get that yellow tone off and I think there are something you can treat the wood with to prevent it from yellowing before lacquering.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-21-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:23 PM

I am making a quilt on my 99K, although probably will use a larger machine for the actual quilting. Someday I will finish it and show it off!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:20 PM

Nice 99! I don't have one in a cabinet but I do have a fondness for the 99s in general. We currently have 3 of them.
Rodney
Old 11-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Banned

I have no idea what finish was on my 99 cabinet since it's been painted. Maybe someday I'll strip it and see what's under all that white paint.

Cari
Old 11-22-2015, 05:49 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536301[/ATTACH]
I've done a little more detail clean-up of this machine (removing the oxidized oil residue on the lower needlebar [visible in these photos as that orange color above the foot], finger debris [yuck] in the knurling of the stitch-length indicator and handwheel clutch, etc.) which turned my attention to something I usually ignore - and probably shouldn't - the pressure adjustment. On this machine, it was turned down all the way to its tightest position. This has to put a lot of unnecessary stress on the motor in the same way that a tight belt will. Any suggestions on how to determine the correct setting for the presser-foot pressure? I loosened it to the point where fabric can be pulled out from under the foot, but it takes a good tug. Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails singer-99-blonde-012-001.jpg  

Last edited by Manalto; 11-22-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:35 AM

There is a fairly recent thread on this, I just go by feel and try to not have too hard. I should read it again too. I don't think it puts strain the motor or any other part in the same way a too tight belt does. The belt sort of puts the motor axle off balance while presser bar tension is dow on the needle plate and the feed dogs move up on the fabric like they should. The experts will hopefully clarify. I have only had it almost all the way down on very difficult seams on heavy denim and duck, not often at all (like flat felled seams on jeans when you join pieces).

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-22-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the link. I shouldn't have said "in the same way a tight motor belt does." What I meant was that high presser foot pressure also forces the motor to work harder. You could almost hear the sigh of relief the poor old 99 gave when I backed it off. You could actually hear a change in sound after the adjustment - the machine ran quieter. It seemed faster at full speed and there was less groaning when I moved at a crawl (my default speed).

ETA: I just read the thread on adjustment and I guess I already had the answer rattling around in my memory, because Miriam's directions (per an OSMG) were pretty much what I did. I confess that I rarely even consider presser foot pressure; I'll have to be more aware of its role in good results.

Last edited by Manalto; 11-22-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 AM

I haven't though of it like that, but of course it does. We should list it among the check points if a 99 is unduly noisy.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:47 AM

Check also to see if the bobbin winder is engaged. I just had a "DOH!" moment with mine.