99K found without looking

Old 11-24-2013, 02:31 AM

Default 99K found without looking

My husband's cousin spontaneously purchased a 99K (1955) for me while attending a small town auction for $25 plus tax! No one bid on it so she approached the seller afterwards. We were visiting in her town at the time. I am more than thrilled as it appears to be in great condition and works great.

As most of you know, it is SO heavy and I have never lifted correctly. Am curious where you all sew with yours.....I'm assuming you mostly keep it in one place.

I've been educating myself on this model via the Internet and here. What praises can I sing about a 99K?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 AM

Default Make it a Handcrank

If it’s a 1955 model, it’s probably a 99K31, which has the backtack capability on it (forward-reverse lever). That feature alone is important for some types of sewing. Earlier model 99s didn’t have it. Personally, I think 99K31 machines make excellent handcrank machines by removing the motor and light, substituting a spoke handwheel for the disc wheel, and adding a handcrank attachment.

I have one that I converted and then sold to a lady in 2008, only to buy it back from a friend that ended up with it in 2013. I nicknamed it “Boomerang” (Boomer for short) and put it back into my collection to keep. I don’t know who all owned it while it was away, or if they even liked it, but I’m glad that it’s back. It’s a good little machine.

I’ve read that many folks use the Singer 99 HC for children to learn about sewing. I think part of that is the fact that those adults are comfortable with the operation and nearly bullet-proof performance of the drop-in round bobbin machine, as opposed to long bobbin machines. Plus, if something does get broken, there were scads of them made, and some new replacement parts are available, so they can usually be easily repaired.

I’m going to keep mine around for grandchildren when they’re ready to start experimenting with sewing.

CD in Oklahoma

Edited: I should add that I substituted an earlier model bobbin winder and belt guard on mine. The original bobbin winder can be modified to work, but I had a different one and used it.
Attached Thumbnails machine115_01.jpg   machine115_05.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 11-24-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 AM

I have two tables that the bentwood case fits into, though I have 128's in both of them. My lovely 99k is in a very nice, small cabinet, so no hauling that one around either.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:39 AM

You are lucky!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 AM

I don't consider them heavy ....... I consider other machines like my Alden SUZ-2 Super ZZ machine heavy.
I have two of the later mid 50s 99Ks. One's and e-machine the other is a HC machine. I just take them and use them where ever the need arises.

Lift them from the bottom and carry them with both hands is easier on the case and your body too.

Joe
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM

The bare machine and foot controller weigh about 25 lbs. Add a case and you're around 30 lbs or just a little more. They're not featherweights but compared to full size machines not that heavy either. Keep in mind they're all metal as opposed to the plastic wonders being sold today. My 99 is still waiting for a cleaning and a case.
Rodney
Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 AM

I have two singer 99's.. One has forward, and reverse, and the other doesn't.. I don't know what models of 99's they are.. The one that goes only forward has a bent wood cover. The other has a brown, and beige cover..
Old 11-25-2013, 02:18 PM

I have a 99k hand crank in bentwood case --came with a little shelf that attaches to left of machine ---have a problem though since I took the slab of wood from the case I can not remember how it fits back up inside the bentwood top. Nice little about 8 in sq table HA HA My other is a 1955 electric 99 Sew great.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Great find...Congrats....
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Such a pretty sewing machine.

Ladibug