Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
99K tensioner spring for a numbered black dial??? >

99K tensioner spring for a numbered black dial???

99K tensioner spring for a numbered black dial???

Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Default 99K tensioner spring for a numbered black dial???

Is there a difference between the spring needed in the tension dial parts on an older machine just listed as a 99? I have a 99K... I ordered the spring for the numbered dial (I thought) but it seems too small to fit in my machine. I took the old one and put it back in, but it turns without catching in the mechanism., which why I was trying to replace it. I have fiddled with it and the stitch seems fine to me but I'm not really satisfied that it's right, the + and - dial turn when I tighten the tension and doesn't stay fixed like I think it should. Is this all due to the spring not working right??? I can't see anything wrong with the rest of the parts according to the manual and what I have read and reread. Any thoughts from you experts?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 AM

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

If you have not already, do go to the above link. I have downloaded the complete manual, but on page [2] F-1 through F-7, there are illustrations of an early type upper tension mechanism and a later dial type showing the assembly. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Sew-classic has parts - she would need info so you get the right part
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 AM

Thanks ladies..I have the manual and have assembled and reassembled the tensioner part more than once, so I now understand how it works. Sent a message to sew classics and received a reply, and indeed there is more than one option for the 99 spring needed. I have reordered one, and in the meantime my husband refashioned the old one and it is back in and working better, so it's "live and learn" and that is what I love about this board...always informative and letting us learn new things. If someone had told me I'd be taking apart vintage Singers and putting them back together 5 years ago, I'd have said they were crazy. Now it's me who's crazy about quilting and the old Singers. (4 of which I've gotten in the last 12 months, plus a "toy" one. Oh, me or my!