Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Almost to April and I ............ >

Almost to April and I ............

Almost to April and I ............

Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Default Almost to April and I ............

............... haven't bought a machine yet this year.

Accessories, needles, fabric ... yes, machines, no. Almost had one here in SPFLD week before last but the stupid computer crashed.

And worse than that, I've not seen anything I'm interested in that was any where I could get it. Waaaaa!

Last Saturday at an antique ( in name only ) shop I found a box of Greist made Kenmore Low Shank ZZ accessories. $5.00 and no shipping. Part # 607.98.
I'd walked past it the first time, saw it the second time. Joked to my wife I was going blind.
I know the set is missing the two screw drivers, but I don't know about anything else. Now I have to match this set to a machine.
( Note: I was going to post a pic, but my new computer will not recognize the SD card. -- I hate computers.)
She got a bunch of late 1880s patterns for underwear and some other sewing books and that's about it.

Not much to be found locally.

Joe
Old 03-23-2015, 11:38 AM

I feel like there's not a lot here, locally, either. It's rare I see a machine in a thrift shop that's made of metal, of any age.

I did find a pink-cased Singer slant-shank buttonholer at a thrift shop recently. Marked $10 but it was a half-off day, so I bought that. But I don't really need it, I almost never sew buttonholes and would probably default to using my machine that does it automatically if I did need to. But I suppose it's nice to have a set to go with my 500A anyway.

I think I'm okay with not finding any irresistible machines though, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with the 13 I've accumulated so far and am quickly running out of space! I'm going to have to take over the "spare" room pretty soon...I wonder how many "spare" machines I could stash in there before DH notices? LOL
Old 03-23-2015, 12:53 PM

I think the last one I bought was some time around Christmas, maybe a bit after. It was that 401A and it was just too good a deal to pass up-especially considering it came with a bunch of extras.
Money is just too tight at the moment to be buying more. I need it for other things like bills and food.
I'm staying busy messing with the ones I already have.
Rodney
Old 03-23-2015, 05:26 PM

Rodney,

I think we're both in the same boat financially.

Joe
Old 03-23-2015, 05:33 PM

I finally got the picture to where I think I can upload it (operator error most likely)
So here's the pic of the Kenmore by Greist LS ZZ accessories from the first post:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514620[/ATTACH]

It think it's missing the two screw drives and one of the hemmers.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-greist-ls-zz-attachments.jpg  
Old 03-24-2015, 04:45 AM

I bought another machine off eBay last night - hoping this one will be the one that takes the long shuttle that I'm having such a hard time locating. Seller measured - so we'll see if the seller measured correctly LOL!!

I've been trying hard not to buy machines "just because". I've still got a few I'd like to get for the collection, and then every once in a while something shows up that I didn't know about.

I just have to keep my husband in check - he's one that hates to pass up a good deal, even if we've got no need/want for it.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 AM

I am trying hard to get caught up here. The goal is to clean up any machines I brought in over the last few months and then chip away at the hoard. The problem is, they just keep showing up! I bammed out several in short order and I cleaned up a few I grabbed recently, a white 221, Singer 401A, Singer 403a.
I have slowed down just a bit with a couple Elna's on the table that are being persistantly sticky-then one shows up out of the blue last night.

I found a home for a wayward empty table and the gal shows up here to get the table and brought me an old Kenmore she didn't want. Even when I'm not actively looking they are showing up!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 PM

I'm having a hard time getting to do the work on the ones I have -- either the weather is crappy on the weekend or my son gets nailed working on the weekend. I can't lift the machines, so he has to be around. I know my son has a few more in the garage, but they are pretty well protected, so they'll have to stay where they are for the time being!

It really doesn't get that cold here -- not below zero, anyway, and the garage is well protected from the humidity and heat. Not a perfect solution, but the best I've got right now!

Jeanette
Old 03-25-2015, 07:55 PM

I have a question....not sure where to post. Someone has asked if I would like a Singer Featherweight in good condition for $250. Is this a good price?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by giquilt View Post
I have a question....not sure where to post. Someone has asked if I would like a Singer Featherweight in good condition for $250. Is this a good price?
Yes this isn't the right place. Try the sticky "come in and sit a spell" thread. You might also want to upload a picture of your prospective machine.