Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Alzheimer's and SM Collecting = some scary outcomes! >

Alzheimer's and SM Collecting = some scary outcomes!

Alzheimer's and SM Collecting = some scary outcomes!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
Just my 2 cents;
I stay away from the 128 and 27's. They are long bobbins with no reverse. I find them totally useless for actually sewing on all the time. I do like the nice decals on those machines. I wish the 15-90's or 201's had decals like that.
I've made several garments on my VS2 (early 27) and love it. Sews an almost perfect button hole using any buttonholer attachment too.
It's just a bonus that she's beautiful to look at and sounds lovely when treadling. I have to admit I've never tried to sew a quilt on one, but haven't come up against anything yet that she can't handle. Will sew through very heavy fabric too. Someone else on this forum said they sewed through multiple thicknesses of heavy leather on their 27.
If there's a reverse on a machine I use it, but if not I'll just tie a knot or turn the fabric around.

You can buy waterslide decals with these patterns that I'm sure would look nice on a more modern machine
Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Anyway they had purchased the house next door and had moved from South Dakota. It was her mother's machine.
Tessagin, if you get the chance can you ask her if she had a 2-spool she sold before she left South Dakota?

The lady we bought it from was moving south, she had a few other machines include her Mom's Pfaff that she said she'd never part with.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Tessagin, if you get the chance can you ask her if she had a 2-spool she sold before she left South Dakota?

The lady we bought it from was moving south, she had a few other machines include her Mom's Pfaff that she said she'd never part with.
Tessagin's story is so heartwarming. Wouldn't that be a small world Cathy?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
Just my 2 cents;
I stay away from the 128 and 27's. They are long bobbins with no reverse. I find them totally useless for actually sewing on all the time. I do like the nice decals on those machines. I wish the 15-90's or 201's had decals like that.
never fear red squirrel, I actually like sewing on these old vs's. Women did without reverse for many years and it really depends on what you are stitching on how critical that is.....it's never been a huge issue for me. But then I have many others that do have reverse so I just switch to one of those when I really need/want reverse.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I've done that with fabric more times than I care to remember. Anyone need some purple??? I also have done that with sewing machines. I have about 5 201s - all heads without cabinets.
oh yes, I've done it with fabric too. When I was moving all my stuff from all over the house into the newly vacant bedroom/now sewing room, I found 3 cuts of the same apple green fabric. I must have had some idea of wanting to use it, why else buy it 3 times, but for the life of me I can't remember why or what for.

Cari
Old 12-23-2014, 03:54 PM

I've also done that with clothes. I hate to shop and to come home and find out I spent all that time to buy a duplicate sweater was maddening.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:12 PM

I do it with food. I need sugar, buy some and the next time I'm at the store I remember I need sugar, but I don't remember I already bought some! Now I use a list more so I don't buy things I've already bought than so I don't forget to buy something I need.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:29 AM

I do that with books, too. My daughter is getting quite a nice sized collection.

Linda
Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I do it with food. I need sugar, buy some and the next time I'm at the store I remember I need sugar, but I don't remember I already bought some! Now I use a list more so I don't buy things I've already bought than so I don't forget to buy something I need.
Hey Cathy,
i did see this post back in Dec. But re looking at it now gives me a good laugh! With the winter and all of the snow we have been having I would say your repetitive buying of food is a good thing! At least you won't starve when you get snowed in for a week!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:23 PM

Did you really think you were the only one who bought duplicate copies of books? LOL! I've done that so many times, it's not even funny. I need to thin out my books and organize my fabric, but I don't look forward to that task! LOL!
Jeanette