Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Another machine - the good and the bad >

Another machine - the good and the bad

Another machine - the good and the bad

Old 03-14-2015, 06:09 PM

Default Another machine - the good and the bad

Good - it showed up today even though the estimated delivery date was Thursday.

Bad - it wasn't packed very well, and was shipped laying on it's front side

Good - nothing got broke.

Bad - It's missing the front plate, stitch length knob and the bobbin winder needs some loving (this I knew when I bought it)

Good - it has a tension release different from any other machine I own- from what I can find, this was used by June (company that merged with Eldredge to form National)

Bad - it does not take the longer shuttle as I had hoped

Good - it does take the slightly different slide plate that I have in a set of attachments that didn't fit anything I owned.

The American is sitting at UPS about 10 miles away, so it should be delivered Monday - another "good" as it was estimated to be delivered Wednesday.

On another note, I was looking at my Boye Case to see what it had for Jennie June, and it does not list a shuttle. And then I noticed that for shuttle 22, it says "Use 14 if too long"
Old 03-14-2015, 06:38 PM

No "Ugly" is good. 1895 MW catalog. I know there are more MW catalogs out there on the net but couldn't find them. The Boye 14 shuttle works?

https://books.google.com/books?id=zW...page&q&f=false

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 03-14-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Banned

Another machine I saw and then when I went back to look deeper it was gone! LOL Cool!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 PM

It may not fill the hole in your collection that you hoped for but it does take some of your attachments that you didn't have a home for. It's also a neat machine in it's own right. I would be proud to own one like it.
I'd say overall it's more good than bad.
Rodney
Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 AM

I recently saw one very similar to that one -- trying to remember. I agree that it's more good than bad, especially that it wasn't damaged. I'm interested to see how you set it up.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:31 AM

my machine is very similar to the one in the catalog, but I believe it's older. The other machine I've seen with that square/round needle plate had a fiddle base, but had the more typical Eldredge/national type tension release. The only other machine I've found with this tension release is the Jennie June, but it looks quite different.

Will be fun when I have time for more research, but for now I'll still be looking for a machine that takes the longer shuttle.

I kind of wonder if National sold a converson kit - it would just be a slightly shorter shuttle carrier.