Another Machine.lol

Old 01-17-2016, 07:29 PM

Mickey2, I went to that blog and have read part of it but am still reading it, thank you so much. Looks great.

Jon, the Model 12 needle did work, I didn't have any problems putting it in and it sews great, after I figured out how to thread the shuttle. The only thing is they are nearly 2.00 each, so I need to find somewhere I can get needles that work for less money. Does anyone have any ideas? I will still be reading the blog Mickey posted.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 PM

Try the DBx1, I think there's a very good chance they'll work on your Harris. I'd try Organ brand because I know the shank is 1.60mm. Other brands might be 2mm. These are very common, inexpensive industrial needles that might even be available locally just make sure you don't get the 2mm shank.

Jon
Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM

Thank you again Jon, will give them a try.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
What a neat looking machine and it's a hand crank! Is the bobbin winder original to the machine because it just looks odd to me in the photos but that may just be the photo or one I don't remember ever seeing before. It looks like it has a different motion for filling the bobbins. Nice find!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540542[/ATTACH] That is a typical German bobbin winder. Here is the Durkopp Class 4 hand crank that I recently obtained. A dealers stamp "Lewenstein" indicates that it was sold in Amsterdam.
Johnm
Attached Thumbnails 101_3257.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 PM

Oh my gosh, just beautiful! Lucky you.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:22 AM

I'm the owner of 'this blog' mentioned in an earlier post. The needles I use in my Singer 12 are a Groz-Beckert size 80/12 DBx1 - note they do not fit all Singer 12 as they have a larger shank than the original 12 needle made by Singer. The Groz-Beckert I believe have a smaller shank than some other DBx1 needles.

Your machine looks lovely and very like the German Vesta TS machines I have. My German TS machines take the normal modern needle 15x1 so it would be worth a try - does your machine have a needle stop at all? If not you will need to adjust the height of the eye to just the right place to get a perfect stitch.

Also you need to remember with any round shank needle you need to orient the eye in the correct direction - for a TS machine it needs to face the front.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Nice! It reminds of Civil War hand cranked machines. What approximate year was it made?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by johnm View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540542[/ATTACH] That is a typical German bobbin winder. Here is the Durkopp Class 4 hand crank that I recently obtained. A dealers stamp "Lewenstein" indicates that it was sold in Amsterdam.
Johnm

Now I have seen two beautiful machines! Johnm, thanks for posting the photo of your bobbin winder. It looked so different in the original posters photo but maybe that was because it wasn't black as I expected. Well, since I am a good chunk German, it's good to see and know what a typical German bobbin winder looks like. Lol!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:57 PM

Anneg, thank you for your blog post. I will check out the Groz Beckert needles, that is helpful. I did put the singer 12 needle in and it works great, I just put it in all the way it would go so don't really know if it has a stop or not, didn't look. I know that area is very narrow where the needle goes, someone mentioned I could make that groove bigger if I needed to, something to think about. The manual did say the eye faced front so that was a good thing. I did not know that TS machines the needle faced the front. Thank you. They leave a lot of things out in those manuals, maybe they didn't really know all that much back then about machines.

Someone asked how old the machine is, I don't know, I thought perhaps 20-30's just by guess.

Also that is the bobbin winder that came with the machine because it is the same in the manual and it is a diff color in the manual as well, so I just assumed they were attached before leaving the factory. Maybe they had a ton of them made up or something and then just put them on machines. Who knows, just know it is this way in the manual. My machine also has the stitch regulator behind where the bobbin winder is and the bobbin winder is attached to the bed by a screw in that hole by the edge. A bit different than the other hand crank posted. The machine does have made in Germany stamped into it.

I am loving all the information, thank you all.

Originally Posted by anneg View Post
I'm the owner of 'this blog' mentioned in an earlier post. The needles I use in my Singer 12 are a Groz-Beckert size 80/12 DBx1 - note they do not fit all Singer 12 as they have a larger shank than the original 12 needle made by Singer. The Groz-Beckert I believe have a smaller shank than some other DBx1 needles.

Your machine looks lovely and very like the German Vesta TS machines I have. My German TS machines take the normal modern needle 15x1 so it would be worth a try - does your machine have a needle stop at all? If not you will need to adjust the height of the eye to just the right place to get a perfect stitch.

Also you need to remember with any round shank needle you need to orient the eye in the correct direction - for a TS machine it needs to face the front.