Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
ANTIQUE SINGER SEWING MACHINE. HELP! Garden City, MI >

ANTIQUE SINGER SEWING MACHINE. HELP! Garden City, MI

ANTIQUE SINGER SEWING MACHINE. HELP! Garden City, MI

Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Greetings from near Garden City Michigan.
I bet this outfit would do it for you, they are well known here in SE michigan for being reasonable. Good luck

TWO MEN AND A TRUCKŪ - TwoMenAndATruckDetroit.com
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127 | 22014 Ford Road p: (313) 749-1000
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Default Buy machine

If you decide shipping is too expensive, I would buy it from you. I live in southeast MI.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM

First, that is a lovely machine you picked up! I recently went through the same thing. Perhaps you can gain from my experience.

I found a beautiful, Singer 66 Redeye, in a nice cabinet, for only $99 on Ebay. I was the only bidder, so she became mine. Unfortunately, the seller was not very experienced in shipping large items. He wanted, (are you sitting down,) $200 to have a, "professional packer," (probably AKA himself,) to pack it up for me and then for me to arrange the shipping.

"OK," I said. He had it packed and told me that it weighed 100 lbs and was sitting in his garage. Because of it's weight, UShip contractors would not deal with it, because they only ship larger, heavier, items. So I contacted UPS. They would ship it, but because it weighed over 70 lbs., it would cost me double the price. I tried to arrange for them to pick it up, but the seller could not be contacted. I had to delay shipping a couple of times just because he wouldn't answer his emails, or he didn't know how to print out the shipping label that I sent him. AUGH!!!

We finally worked things out and UPS picked it up and delivered right it to my door. They were wonderful. However, when the machine arrived, it was in a flimsy, cardboard box, with no support on the floor and it was falling apart, with the packing peanuts, (the only protection used,) falling out of the holes. The treadle cabinet was broken, the pieces of the machine s/a the bobbin, bobbin plate, accessories, etc. were floating amidst the peanuts. I can only hope that none of the pieces fell through the holes in the box. The machine only weighed about 50 lbs, not 100 lbs, so I paid far more than I should have for shipping the item AND it definitely was NOT professionally packed. The seller has since been harrassing me to give him positive feedback. Is he crazy, or what?

In the end, I do have a beautiful Redeye. I fixed the cabinet and am now working on getting it in tip-top condition. My advice would be to make sure that you do, indeed, have a pro do the packing, to give you an actual weight and to leave the packed item ready at an accessable place, such as a business. UPS is fabulous for getting things to you in an effecient and safe manner. (I do NOT reccomend FedEx Ground, based on my past dealings with them.) The pro packer will probably put a lightweight pallet on the floor of the box and use heavier cardboard box, so it might run over 70 lbs by the time they are done. If it were me, I would happily pay it, to make sure that it is well protected. I would also ask them to put all accessories and removable parts in a separate bag/box, so that they don't get loose, or lost.

I'm sorry to rant on, but I hope that you will benefit from my experience. Good luck with your new baby!

~ Cindy
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 PM

I hate to say this but... I live near Garden City and would consider taking it off your hands if you find it's too expensive to ship. Wish I could recommend someone local - but we just don't move much in Michigan.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM

be very, very sure that they unmount the head for shipping !!! the machine must be boxed & shipped in it's own box.
otherwise, the weight of the machine will cause major damage before you get your hands on it. for what it will cost
you, I would call & donate it to a local thrift store or non-profit and be done with it.