Any guesses...

Old 03-26-2023, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
No, you are probably thinking of the 20x1. The 206x13 needle is shorter both in length and from eye to point. You can read about them on this thread 206x13 needles and the picture of the needles in post 5 https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...edle-comps.jpg

There are some that will retime the machine to be able to use 15x1, but my personal and some others is to leave the timing alone and use the needles that it is supposed to use. Granted you do not have the many point types and sizes available in the correct system needles, but that is why we have several machines to use. That way you can use a variety of machines for the purpose that they are best at.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Janey is right on the money. Don't fool with the timing. It won't work and there's no need.

If you don't want to use a 206 needle, generally on a 306 you can also just use a Singer 20U bobbin case and use regular 15X1 needles without any problems. If you find you need a bobbin case, check if the hook assembly has two positioning pins at the 12 o'clock position. If so, a Singer 20U bobbin case will work. If the positioning pin is at the 5 o'clock position, generally you will need a "new" bobbin case with a wide opening at the top or a modified 20U one to use 15x1 needles. The other option is to use industrial DBX needles which are somewhere between the 206 and the 15x1 needle in terms of length. DBX needles have a round shank so you need to be a bit careful installing them to make sure you get them in right.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:13 AM

I finally picked up this machine from the hinterlands up north, and it is a 306W in a nice fire mahogany table. It has all the goodies shown, and the straight stitch and darning plates were still wrapped in the original tan tissue paper. There's a double needle in the original packaging, along with some 206x13 needles. The bobbin case is there, and a few bobbins with it.

The top of the machine moves, only slightly, because the bottom of the machine is completely frozen. This will be a new one for me.
Attached Thumbnails 20230529_110217.jpg   20230529_110040.jpg  
Old 05-29-2023, 08:29 AM

Nice score, Joe. It is great to have the needles, even the correct double needle.

I'm curious as to the box in front of the attachment box. I don't remember seeing a box like that. Does it have the cams in it???

Old 05-29-2023, 08:44 AM

Yes, it has the cams. Unfortunately one of them is broken in half, but I will try to repair it.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

I'm curious as to the box in front of the attachment box. I don't remember seeing a box like that. Does it have the cams in it???

The style disc box holds 6 and is part No 276,300 (there is a comma in the part number on the box).
Old 05-29-2023, 02:27 PM

Congrats! With a bit of furniture polish on the cabinet, I would say that you have a museum quality example of what I believe is one of Singer's very best machines. That double-needle is as rare as hen's teeth.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:01 PM

The cardboard box sitting in the middle of the machine, in the original post, held this container, all brand new, the contents still wrapped in tissue paper and taped. Not for this machine, but still kind of neat.
Attached Thumbnails 20230529_135455.jpg  
Old 05-29-2023, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
The cardboard box sitting in the middle of the machine, in the original post, held this container, all brand new, the contents still wrapped in tissue paper and taped. Not for this machine, but still kind of neat.
That is very neat. I love the unused oil can. John did the avatar and put an oil can over on the right side of the machine. I can't remember, but I think he also has placed an oil can in a few pictures.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:25 PM

I would point out one thing about the goodies, and that is that these look like 15-class bobbins. They're not the correct bobbin for this machine. This machine takes "L" class bobbins which are industrial style and also used on some Bernina machines if my memory serves. The "industrial" bobbin is in keeping with the rest of the machine which is essentially Singer's domestic version of one of their industrial machines from circa 1936.

I don't know if 15 class bobbins will work all that well, I've never tried one in my 319. I have tried new "L" class bobbins with only mixed success. The ones that seem to be on the market these days are a touch too narrow for the bobbin winder to work right. I somehow think that I read someplace that these new ones work on Bernina machines.

You might want to be on the lookout for a vintage bobbin or two.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:27 PM

Just noticed it's a 306W. Made by Singer in Bridgeport Connecticut in the former Wheeler and Wilson factory. Hence the "W" in tribute to Wheeler and Wilson.