Any Ideas For This?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:20 PM

What I would try first is a small pick. If, like Steve says, it was overtightened and the head broke off, a small pick, if carefully used could work. Just try to rotate the screw out by applying a little pressure in a counterclockwise direction between the OD of screw & the threaded hole with the pick. If the head snapped off, there is a good chance the remaining part of the screw is actually loose in the hole and will spin out easily. I say carefully with the pick because if you gouge up the area around the screw it will be more difficult to remove. It's worth a try to save some money.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Well, it has been marinating in triflow overnight, I'll give it a try with a dental pick. Being very careful not to make it worse or scratch it up.

I don't know why, but I find this machine so much scarier than the Kenmores, or my other Singers (66, 348, 403A). Maybe because it is so light and tiny.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 AM

see if someone you know has an easy out tool. They are made for that purpose.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
see if someone you know has an easy out tool. They are made for that purpose.
I've never seen an EZ-Out that small....Gun Shop maybe?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

the T-F soak is a good idea - technical school not so much - they don't have enough experience but a machine shop yes if they have time to fool with it they will get it out.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Maybe I missed something here, but just in case, did you remove the bobbin base from the machine yet? I mean, I guess that would be obvious to me, but just in case. I sort of reckon you did, in order to do a TF soak. But if I had it out, I would soak in some PB Blast sprayed into a small container. The other thing, I don't remember cause it's been awhile, but is that the only screw holding that gib on? I can't see how much of the screw head is missing, but I'm thinking you could almost take it off with what's left of the screw head still there. Then you'd have more to work with and easier to boot. I probably just missed something. And we're looking at one of these, correct...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400675332284...84.m1423.l2649
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Lastly, and at the risk of oversimplifying, are you sure it wasn't slapping because the retainer for the bobbin case wasn't installed between the 2 fingers on the underside of the needle plate?

Gotta go to get some groceries, looking forward to hearing how this goes for ya
Old 04-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Again, thanks everyone! I have figured out the problem!

Some previous DIY enthusiast (who also used white lithum grease on the gears ugh), took that whole bobbin shuttle assembly off of the machine and had put the gib hook screw in from the wrong side. So it didn't go all the way through and looked like it had snapped off on the right side. On the recomendation of my mother, and help from a tutorial, I took the whole thing off in order to get at the screw and could then see that the "bottom" of the "broken" screw was flat and slotted.

So the flapping gib hook was indeed the noise, and nothing is actually broken or damaged! Just a lesson in how important it is to remember how to put something back together correctly. Though I think that since I took the whole thing off, I get to learn how to time it now.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:08 PM

Well that's a better outcome than the way things were looking! You'll be stitching fine real soon I'm sure.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 AM

The same previous person also installed the washer of the stop-motion wheel backwards as well. At least that one makes more sense. But this poor machine has been the victim of a DIYer who does not do obsessive internet research, nor had the help of the wonderful people in this forum.