Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Any method to re-sharpen feed dogs? >

Any method to re-sharpen feed dogs?

Any method to re-sharpen feed dogs?

Old 05-27-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Any method to re-sharpen feed dogs?

I just picked up my second Little Kenny and went over it with a proverbial fine tooth comb. It is running like a champ, but one thing...the feed dogs are dull. I looked on youtube to see if there is a tool or way to re-sharpen the feed dogs and came up empty. Thoughts? TIA, Reba
Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Would a saw sharpening file work? On my old Singer, I made a small cardboard gasket to go under the feed dog plate to raise it slightly for more “ grab” .
Old 05-27-2020, 10:35 AM

Not sure how I would sharpen them, but did you hit them with a stiff wire bristle brush to make sure all the crud is removed?
Old 05-27-2020, 11:01 AM

Some of these answers may help you.

https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topi...sistency-help/
Old 05-27-2020, 12:16 PM

The machine is perfectly clean, oiled and lubed, when you run your finger across the feed dogs, they are dull. So no crud. Reba
Old 05-27-2020, 01:40 PM

I have cleaned feed dogs so gunked with oil and lint that they felt dull. Feed dogs wouldn't dull appreciably with most fabrics, although they could dull if the machine was run a long time with the foot down on the dogs.

Scrape the grooves with a pin, point of a seam ripper, or z dental pik type tool. If you get gunk, rove the feed dogs and soak in rubbing alcohol to loosen the debris.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:41 PM

I have cleaned feed dogs so gunked with oil and lint that they felt dull. Feed dogs wouldn't dull appreciably with most fabrics, although they could dull if the machine was run a long time with the foot down on the dogs.

Scrape the grooves with a pin, point of a seam ripper, or a dental pik type tool. If you get gunk, rove the feed dogs and soak in rubbing alcohol to loosen the debris.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

If you cannot resolve the issue with sharpening, you might consider replacing the feed dogs?
Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 AM

Yes I've thought I might need to do that. I don't know if OEM parts are available for a little Kenny though. This is not the first time I've sewn with worn feed dogs. I wore the feed dogs down on my first machine, a husky 6460 brown beauty with cams. My repair guy said he never saw that, except with professional sewists, but since I had been sewing for over 10 years by that time, it stood to reason it would happen. I hate worn feed dogs, it just makes for sloppy seams. Call me lazy but there is a beauty in a machine that pulls the fabric evenly.