Anybody recognize these feet?

Old 01-08-2017, 01:17 PM

Default Anybody recognize these feet?

I bought a box of "sewing stuff" at a sale, and have no idea what these eight feet and accessories go to. If anybody can tell me, or would like them, let me know? There is also a little bitty crescent wrench and a bobbin case. They look to all be specialty feet for whichever old machine they fit. If you are interested, let me know. I spent $15 for the whole small box I got because there were also old sewing notions that I wanted. The feet all say "Griest" on them.
There is a narrow hemmer like you use on chiffon, a 1/2" hemmer, a 3/4" hemmer, a braid foot, a 3/8" hemmer, a 1/4" binder foot, a single hole foot, an attachment screw, a thread tension spring for the machine head, a bobbin case, a 1/2" seam guide, some kind of braid foot, a larger seam guide, and a very tiny crescent wrench. The feet attach from the bottom I think, because they have a horizontal, instead of vertical, foot attachment like the newer machines.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM

That looks like the slot that works with a bottom clamping machine, like a White Rotary, or early Kenmore Rotary, or Standard Rotary as examples. I have been looking for attachments for my White Family Rotary. I only have a straight stitch foot with it now so I am interested in any hemmed or braiding foot/plate. The thing is, all the bottom clamping feet are not interchangeable (as I learned when I tried to use the attachments from my Standard Rotary on my White Family Rotary ). The measurement of the offset (from the top of the attachment slot to the bottom of the foot) is 1/2 inch or slightly less, like maybe 7/16 inch by my measure. The width of the slot is 3/8 inch and the distance from the needle hole to the front of the slot (looking from the top) is 5/8 inch.
if those measurements match your attachments, please PM me with the particulars.
There was a chart I saw somewhere, Needlebar maybe?, that gave the measurements for the feet of various bottom clamping brands. Maybe someone else knows where it is.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 AM

I am not sure how to PM but I have some feet that are similar and I think has those measurements that came in a drawer of a machine that was given to me. I would love to find someone to give them to. I don't have room to store things that I can't use. There are other things in this picture but if you search my posts you should find one with the picture and a response from a very nice person labeling the feet and parts. I know one of these feet go with the machine I was given so that is a keeper. Let me know if you can use any of them or if anyone can use the ones I can't use. I will gladly mail them to you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565392[/ATTACH]
Lynda

Originally Posted by RotaryQueen View Post
That looks like the slot that works with a bottom clamping machine, like a White Rotary, or early Kenmore Rotary, or Standard Rotary as examples. I have been looking for attachments for my White Family Rotary. I only have a straight stitch foot with it now so I am interested in any hemmed or braiding foot/plate. The thing is, all the bottom clamping feet are not interchangeable (as I learned when I tried to use the attachments from my Standard Rotary on my White Family Rotary ). The measurement of the offset (from the top of the attachment slot to the bottom of the foot) is 1/2 inch or slightly less, like maybe 7/16 inch by my measure. The width of the slot is 3/8 inch and the distance from the needle hole to the front of the slot (looking from the top) is 5/8 inch.
if those measurements match your attachments, please PM me with the particulars.
There was a chart I saw somewhere, Needlebar maybe?, that gave the measurements for the feet of various bottom clamping brands. Maybe someone else knows where it is.
Attached Thumbnails feet.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 05:21 AM

I found the post now I will try to put in a link.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7532086
Lynda
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

The problem with the top clamping feet is different manufacturers used a different size slot and some of them are VERY close in size. They are not usually interchangeable. I'm hoping Macybaby will chime in here and give her considerable knowledge.

Cari
Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 AM

Like Cari said, these come in several different sizes, and they can be hard to tell apart.

There are two basic widths of slot, the narrow fits Free/New Royal, the rest all use a wider slot.

Some have the needle hole offset from center on the slot (can be left, right) White and National are both centered, but White has a 1/8" longer distance between slot and hole. Older New Home are like National, but normally have a really short foot, while Standard has a tall foot.

The ones Lynda posted are often sold as "universal" as they can fit several different machines because they have an open slot for the needle, and not just a whole. However they wont' fit every machine. Her's probably fit a National made machine (and don't you love the part that is used for mounting a light fixture to a ceiling box- I see those so often, along with drapery related hardware with sewing machine attachments).

Lydia also has a mock hemstitcher attachment that is bed mount (and she's got the square mount that is often missing) along with the tucker that has been disassembled and is in four peices, but I don't see the screws need to put it back together.

Some pictures showing some of the variations. (ignore the different sizes of the hemmer part)

The needle hole is lined up on these, notice the differences between the needle hole and the mounting slot. Some have a slot cut in them like all of these, and that is normally lined up with the needle hole. Only one of these four is off center. Most often you will find them without that cut.

This hows the open toe style, notice one has a narrow slot (I don't have a narrow slot one in the above group, but you'll find them like that too). You can also tell that the needle spot in the narrow slot one is off center from that slot. Some are just a tad offcenter, and some are quite a bit more off center.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-11-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM

BTW - these were made in sets for both Rotary and VS machines. The difference is the plates for the underbraider and shirr plate (used with ruffler). For the VS machines, they most often are used instead of the normal slide plate, for most rotaries, they mount to the bed of the machine.

you will often see boxes marked "rotary" while the sets for VS were normally just labeled "attachments" but that is not a rule, just a general observation. Often it's the shape/size of the underbaider and shirrplate that help identifiy what they may fit from pictures. Though often peices get mixed up together, if the owner had more than one machine.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 AM

Thank you so much Cathy, for the in depth description. It will help, if I ever get around to sorting my attachments out.

I'm thinking that it was the universal hemmers that came with my model US New Home. I wasn't impressed with the hemmer I tried with it. It didn't seem to sit tight and had a tendency to wobble, even though tightened as best I could. I know years ago I really liked using the hemmer for a low shank machine I used it on. I just looked at some attachments that I have and I noticed there is some differences in the thickness of the metal so that where it slides into the bar would need to be wider.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.