Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Anyone got a Juki domestic machine?

  1. #1
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Anyone got a Juki domestic machine?

    Possibly only just scraping into the vintage category here... but I just bought this Juki HZL-11 machine because I thought it was cool looking and I've also never seen a domestic Juki machine and was fascinated! The industrial Juki's I've used have always been excellent.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Juki HZL-11.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	426561

    Just curious to know if there are any others out there in anyone's collections? Would love to hear from you!

    ETA: my first Japanese machine! Exciting

  2. #2
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    No help with Juki ... but wanted to say that machine reminds me of a circa 70's blow dryer on a stand
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    535
    I have a current one, TL98E. And I love it. Hadn't seen the vintage one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    I have a current one, TL98E. And I love it. Hadn't seen the vintage one.
    That's reassuring Suze! I haven't received the machine yet so I have yet to try it out, but it's nice to know that their domestic machines are as nice as the industrials.

  5. #5
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,361
    Cool looking machine!

  6. #6
    Super Member mlmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,384
    Looks like a stand mixer, but it is definitely cool.
    Mark

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,791
    Blog Entries
    3
    @ DogHouseMom Hmm! There you go sew 'n' blow! Sorry , I just had to! LOL! I also used to be a hairdresser and it does remind one of it!

  8. #8
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Interesting to say the least. I looked on the Internet and could not find any info. Hope you get a manual for it.
    Sweet Caroline

  9. #9
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    It looks like my grandmother's stand mixer that she had for forever and now my aunt has and still uses. Cool looking machine though.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  10. #10
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    70's blow dryer on a stand
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    Looks like a stand mixer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    looks like my grandmother's stand mixer
    LOL! Super cool!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    507
    I have a current one. I am actually selling it to a friend as a good beginner machine. It doesn't have the ability to drop feed dogs which defeats the whole purpose of which I bought it for. Otherwise it would be a fantastic machine.

  12. #12
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    I have a current one. I am actually selling it to a friend as a good beginner machine. It doesn't have the ability to drop feed dogs which defeats the whole purpose of which I bought it for. Otherwise it would be a fantastic machine.
    If you're using it for FMQ, you don't need the feed dogs to drop. Just set your stitch length to 0.
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/doiha...myfeeddogs.htm

    ETA: some people even just remove them altogether if -all- they're going to do is FMQ / frame quilting.

    Re: Juki Domestics, the TL98Q is considered by some to be a semi-industrial, but I've been inside, it looks pretty good to me. I've been sewing on it only a few hours in the last week and a half, but no hiccups yet that I didn't introduce myself. I'd give it 2.5 thumbs up.

  13. #13
    Super Member callen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Timmins, Ont. Canada
    Posts
    4,667
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    If you're using it for FMQ, you don't need the feed dogs to drop. Just set your stitch length to 0.
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/doiha...myfeeddogs.htm

    ETA: some people even just remove them altogether if -all- they're going to do is FMQ / frame quilting.

    Re: Juki Domestics, the TL98Q is considered by some to be a semi-industrial, but I've been inside, it looks pretty good to me. I've been sewing on it only a few hours in the last week and a half, but no hiccups yet that I didn't introduce myself. I'd give it 2.5 thumbs up.
    I have the TL98Q & it is my go to machine. Whenever my TOL machine gives me some "trouble" my Juki always comes thru. It is the best straight stitch machine that I have ever owned & I LOVE it. Dependable, sturdy & can sew thru several (approx. 10) layers of denim without a hiccup. My personal "best buy" item, IMHO.
    Dance like no one is watching

  14. #14
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,362
    I have had two Juki TL98 QE (no table extension) one didn't last long, needed a new motor and some other issues. Second one I have used mostly for FMQ for the last 5 yrs. makes a beautiful stitch. Never been in the shop. I would buy another in a heart beat.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Well I bought it and got it couriered from interstate - luckily it was a successful mission!
    It's not the most beautiful sounding machine, but the stitching is very precise and it's satisfying to use. Good ol' Juki

  16. #16
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
    Well I bought it and got it couriered from interstate - luckily it was a successful mission!
    It's not the most beautiful sounding machine, but the stitching is very precise and it's satisfying to use. Good ol' Juki
    Of course my first question will be if it sounds different, have you oiled -everything-? The TL98Q here does sound "different" than most of my other machines, but I expect that to be because it's running so much faster and it's on a frame, not a solid table.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.