Back stitch problems

Old 07-05-2021, 07:16 AM

Default Back stitch problems

Bernina 930 on straight stitch is fine but back stitch PUCKERS THE MATERIAL. I cleaned the machine for my wife and never had this problem before. Wife goes on her first retreat in 1 1/2 years. I am 72 have had 2 strokes but have always been able to maintain her machines.

Thank you...

Just joined so I hope I am doing it right

Last edited by quiltfeathers; 07-05-2021 at 07:23 AM. Reason: The red trangel is a spam sign and I am a real person and do not know how to get it off need help....
Old 07-05-2021, 07:52 AM

First of all welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Bernina line. Someday, one is on my wish list. We have a bunch of folks that are familiar with these machines and I am sure one of them will jump in soon. Again welcome to the QB.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:56 AM

Hummm...something is preventing the fabric from being moved backward I would think. Have you tried using a different foot to see if it makes a difference? There could be a scratch or burr or something on the bottom of the foot. Feed dogs will wear out after a lot of use. How old is the machine? Did you take the stitch plate off and clean all the lint out from underneath, not just remove the bobbin? I would also rethread the machine completely as well as try a different bobbin. that is just a basic thought for any stitch problems.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:21 AM

Annette, one of our members knows a lot about machines, including Bernina. She doesn't post every day, so it might be a while before she shows up, but she usually has good answers. If you don't get an answer right away, give it a few days and keep checking back. She is very generous with her knowledge.
bkay
Old 07-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Hi QuiltFeathers, I have one of these marvelous machines at home, and love it!

The feed dogs on that machine are pretty easy to raise. Put them in the highest position and see if they come up to the lowest part of the feed dog teeth, being level with the needle plate. If not, I can attach pictures to show you how to raise them. Your machine might have the criss-cross feed dogs, which don't feed as well as the feed dogs with teeth, which is why Bernina put out a "feed dog upgrade kit" which was basically the feed dogs with teeth.

SewingPup has a good thought about using a different presser foot. The 0 foot will feed best. The #6 or #20 have the bottom of the foot cut out, so they don't feed as well. Also the #3 foot is a buttonhole foot, which can hang up with any stitch other than a buttonhole. I see that one being used as a "standard" presser foot a lot, for some reason. #37 (1/4" foot) will feed very well, but the #57 is the same foot with a guide, and it will not feed as well, as the fabric is bumped up against the guide.

Another thing to check is if there's damage on the needle plate. If so, it can be buffed off with a very fine sandpaper (about 400 to 600 grit). Also check if there is damage on the bottom of the presser foot and buff it off if needed. I've seen groves worn in the bottom of some presser feet.

I hope you're able to get your wife's machine sewing beautifully before her retreat!

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 07-07-2021 at 06:31 PM.