Barn Find Update

Old 09-18-2020, 06:40 AM

Default Barn Find Update

I posted about some "Barn Find" machines here

Barn Find

An update on the Singer 27. The first picture is "before", the second is "after". I was going to try to mount a reproduction hand crank, but they will not work with the existing hand wheel and there is too much main shaft for one of the after market spoked wheels, so I think I will try mounting a motor, I have one hole tapped, just need to figure out what to use for a spacer between the motor bracket and the machine itself. Of course with that heavy hand wheel if I get it spinning with a motor it may never stop spinning!

The machines turns freely, with surprisingly little oil given the condition it was in, and sews stitches, although they need some work, spinning it by hand. I with I had a treadle table to put it in to give it a spin.

It didn't turn out as well as it could have, but it will only be in my personal "museum" so I am happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails img_20200717_092122188.jpg   img_20200917_180109512%7E2.jpg  
Old 09-18-2020, 07:02 AM

Well, I have to say that I think it looks wonderful. I am not a mechanical person or a restorer of older machines and I really appreciate those of you who do this. Thanks for saving that grand old lady.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:32 AM

I just retired one similar to the scrap/parts pile. Admire the work & time you've put into this Always good to see another oldie saved.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:29 PM

I think the "after" machine looks great. You did a fantastic job making it look good.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Very nice job, Joe Jr.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:21 PM

Joejr it looks like you gave it back a dozen or so lifetimes. It is as clean as a whistle! To bad you can't find a compatible hand crank. . It will be an undertaking well worth the effort to motorize it. It won't be the same but still a great turn out for this machine. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:38 AM

I appreciate everyone's remarks. I've been working on machines only a couple of years, and this was the most ambitious undertaking, cosmetically anyway. There's such a great sense of satisfaction bringing a machine back to life, and I don't even know how to sew! I admire people who can actually make things with a machine. The most remarkable thing about working on them is the engineering, it's amazing to see something 100+ years old still function as it was intended. And the help from everyone on this board can't be overvalued.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:20 AM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...738-579297.jpg

JoeJr, you may already know that the hub width on spoked wheels comes in two different sizes ( see above) Swithing to a 1" ( I think) hub, may be an easier way to solve the problem. Is there a boss on your machine?
Old 10-05-2020, 06:24 AM

PS I barley sew, but love these beasties.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...738-579297.jpg

JoeJr, you may already know that the hub width on spoked wheels comes in two different sizes ( see above) Swithing to a 1" ( I think) hub, may be an easier way to solve the problem. Is there a boss on your machine?
I figured out from this machine that there are different hub sizes! The shaft for the wheel on this is 1 5/16". When I tried a wheel with the smaller hub there was, of course, too much shaft remaining.

I tapped a hole for mounting something, likely a motor; you can see the bolt sticking out the side. A neighbor told me about wedge washers, which I'd never heard of; if I can find one the right size I will use it as a spacer between the pillar and a motor mount, but I haven't been into the hardware store yet to see if they have them.